You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

+1 As I have found myself desperate to invert a vector mask in AD several times.

Well, If you're desperate.....

Haul the vector out of the mask position.

Add a white rectangle the size of the canvas underneath it.

Do a compound (or not) Boolean Subtraction of the two.

Stick the result back in the mask position.

Desperate times call for desperate measures  ;) .

Desperate times call for desperate measures  ;) .

Like buying Affinity Photo so you can go back & forth between the apps to use whatever features one but not the other supports?  :o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Like buying Affinity Photo so you can go back & forth between the apps to use whatever features one but not the other supports?  :o

Now that would be desperate! :D 

But, yup. That's why I also happily continue on with Illustrator and PShop (and even keep Gimp and Inkscape going even though I can hardly stomach them).

• 1 year later...

Is this feature still not on the steps? It seems like such a logical feature, to be able to mask a path/shape out, not masking everything but that path/shape..

The workaround always have me creating much more complex paths to remove something. Let's say I want to hide a circle in a pixel png, I need to produce(via subtract) a shape that encompasses the whole image except the circle, instead of just creating the circle and hit "reverse mask". Is this complicated to implement?

17 hours ago, Kheewz said:

I need this feature so bad.

If you need to "invert" a mask, Ctrl + click on the mask layer to make a pixel selection, go Select > Invert Pixel Selection (Shift + Ctrl + I) and click the mask button. You end up with the original mask and an inverted mask. 

Hide the mask you don't want (the original).

It might not be "elegant" and it is not a vector mask but it is an inverted mask, if that would help ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:32 AM, toltec said:

If you need to "invert" a mask, Ctrl + click on the mask layer to make a pixel selection, go Select > Invert Pixel Selection (Shift + Ctrl + I) and click the mask button. You end up with the original mask and an inverted mask. 

It might not be "elegant" and it is not a vector mask but it is an inverted mask, if that would help ?

Yeah, it does help. I've been using Photo to invert the mask, but I hope they do implement the elegant way in the near future!

On 9/30/2018 at 3:32 PM, toltec said:

Thank you, it works..! Now if only that exact same function were available for vector masks everything would be better.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 7:39 PM, TimoCreations said:

I'm not sure if this answers the question, but you can use the "Erase" blendmode at the bottom to use any vector shape as cutout to everything beneath it.
If you want to only affect one layer or a group, drag it into a group.

This answer saved my day.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/16/2015 at 3:05 AM, safoster71 said:

Greetings, i have to say i am LOVING where your going with this so far...but i do have a small question.  Is it possible to "invert" the mask on a layer?

The answer was NO in 2015 and still is over five years later. And my question is... why not???

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

I think the issue with inverting a vector mask lies in determining where the outer edges of the new mask would end up. In AP, when you invert a pixel mask, it assumes the entire canvas size is what you're working with. With a vector mask, the app would have to know what the bounds of the new vector shape would be: the dimensions of the vector itself? the dimensions of the object being masked? the page size? The dimensions of the object being masked would make the most sense, but there could be different use cases.