You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize document bug fixed - but not improved

The 'Resize Document' now works, the bug has been corrected, BUT...

Its fundamental interface problem has not been addressed at all, nothing has been done, it still lacks ALL the improvements needed by all graphic designers, publishers (all the professionals who would use Affinity Photo as part of the set - Photo, Publisher and Designer, all those wishing to leave the Adobe set. Affinity team together with the programmers should use the advice of professional designers in order to understand the requirements needed for the 'Resize Document' interface for optimum workflow between the app set.

Please try to understand why Photoshop 'resize image' (and other apps) got it right from the start, compare AP resize functionality for workflow and see why the Affinity 'method' is so inferior.

We have been complaining about this fundamental interface issue for so long with so many posts going into so much detail on exactly what is required, is it possible that none of this has been read by the affinity team, it certainly has not been addressed seriously. I think that if the team understood the issue, it would have been dealt with long ago. 

Affinity team - Please read all the posts (in all categories) concerning 'Resize Document' and you should understand. The Affinity set cannot succeed without a comprehensive resize document/image in Affinity photo.

Edited by davemike
clarification

• Staff

Hi davenike,

Apart from missing presets and a document preview—what else is it that you need/want/think is missing.

As you said, the bug is fixed and we've included some information in the Description so it has been improved—just need how you want/need it. So can you just give us a few bullet points of exactly what you want us to do but make it as clear and simple as possible. 

I can confirm the bug has been fixed which is a great relief but as DaveMike has said the interface still hasn't really been improved. The description field is a very slight improvement but there are still too many clicks involved. Please make the dimensions update live (across the whole suite) as you type. This would mean you would not need the description field thats just been added as you would see the results in the fields before you hit apply. Having to click inside another input field for the one you typed into to update the rest of the window is not user friendly.

Essentially just copy what everyone else does for their image resize window please. It works and is efficient.

Having input fields update live across the whole suite would dramatically cut down on the amount of mouse clicks involved in a users workflow.

28 minutes ago, Nazario said:

his would mean you would not need the description field thats just been added as you would see the results in the fields before you hit apply. Having to click inside another input field for the one you typed into to update the rest of the window is not user friendly.

Just hit Enter after typing to commit (and update the other values), or press Tab to go to the next box (and update the other values). There's no need to use a mouse.

Enter should be for applying the changes. Your method requires two hits of 'enter' to apply the changes unlike only one for other apps. Its a case of efficiency. I personally process huge quantities of images and small inefficiencies in UI can build up to a lot of time wasted with extra clicks, taps and mouse movements that are simply not needed.

In a one off instance one extra click is not a big deal. Its when you broaden things out to high end professional workflows where the current UI starts to fail. Its inefficient. As a side note I also suffer RSI (probably from my crazy work load) so on a strictly personal level its even more paramount regarding less clicks, obviously i don't expect you to take that into account Im just saying.

If the input boxes updated live, by that i mean as you type, the other fields linked to it auto update instantly, you then can see without having to click, or hit enter, or do anything what the results of your current input are going to be. If you're happy with them, hit enter to apply.

Think of a workflow where Im sent an image from a client. It needs resizing, the colours adjusting, maybe some editing. I then need to put that into Publisher, set the positioning, any possible effects etc. Along a workflow all those extra clicks really add up and thats just one image.

EDIT: A very clear example of the extra clicks here and there throughout the Affinity suite is the Colour Picker tool. There is a needless click required to make it work in Affinity. This even caught out the guy doing the Publisher keynote for Affinity Live (apologies i forgot his name - great keynote by the way). One would simply expect you click on the tool, mouse over the area you wish to sample and simply click the mouse to have the colour loaded and ready to go. Affinity's current implementation makes you mouse all the way back over to the Colour Picker window and then click the colour thats now appeared next to the eye dropper to actually activate the colour you've just selected. Its really not intuitive or efficient, especially on a 27" screen or multiple monitor setups.

Mark,

In order for 'Resize Document' to work efficiently and as quickly as possible, these improvements should be made:

• Percentage should be added as an option in the resize unit choice

• A reset button is often needed

• Results should be shown live - without need for tab (enter closes the window)

• The pixel dimensions and print dimensions should be shown together (attached sample).

(Allowing for the future possibility of creating resize scripts)

All professional graphic designers (or their employees) spend a LOT of time resizing images for use in Publisher or InDesign, we need to administer the settings in one place as quickly as possible, to see that the application has calculated everything OK enter, then get on to the next picture.

We would like the Affinity Resize tool to be as good as other apps, if possible better, but as it is, 'resize image 'in Affinity is inferior to all others.

percent and pixel dimensions.png

Chris B

Sorry - I wrote Mark instead of Chris B

Chris,

Here is a list of capabilities which would make the 'Resize Document' work efficiently: 

• Percentage should be added as an option in the resize unit choice

• A reset button is often needed

• Results should be shown live - without need for tab (enter closes the window)

• The pixel dimensions and print dimensions should be shown together (attached sample).

All professional graphic designers (or their employees) spend a LOT of time resizing images for use in Publisher or InDesign, we need to administer the settings in one place as quickly as possible, to see that the application has calculated everything OK enter, then get on to the next picture.

We would like the Affinity Resize tool to be as good as other apps, if possible better, but as it is, 'resize image 'in Affinity is inferior to all others.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.