You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

App ignores you.

Too often this app ignores you.  I make a change, I send it to a destination, it asks me if I want to replace the previous file, I click yes, then go to the folder and it doesn't have the change.  Also, too often the image does not retain the edit when exported.  Really wish I hadn't wasted my money.

Edited by Chimes

Are you sure you export in the right folder and didn't change export destination by error?

If you're on Win10, try to export again, and once you've got the destination's options displayed, don't export, but use ctrl+Land ctrl+C shortcuts to get and copy the path and paste it in an Explorer windows (same shortcut: ctrl+L and ctrl+V), it'll get you to the last folder where you exported the file.
This way you should find the last exported version of your file.

Affinity apps only save in the file folder when you open the app, after this, they tend to remember the last used folder path, and it's easy to save some file where you don't want it if you open a lot of files from different folders :S

5 hours ago, Chimes said:

Too often this app ignores you.  I make a change, I send it to a destination, it asks me if I want to replace the previous file, I click yes, then go to the folder and it doesn't have the change.  Also, too often the image does not retain the edit when exported.  Really wish I hadn't wasted my money.

Where are you saving it? Local disk? Network disk? Dropbox folder? We've not had any similar reports to this, so could you provide a couple of screenshots or even a video demonstrating the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, no.   It's quicker to use another free app to get the edit I want, than to make screenshots or videos and wait for your solution.

You not heard of this problem where the photo in Affinity bears no resemblence to the photo that goes back to the files, or vice versa?  Right now I'm looking at another photo that has just loaded on to affinity with massive purple fringing that most certainly  is not on the original file.  Doesn't fix moiré either, in fact, adds it, instead, in some cases.

Oh here's another example of it ignoring me.  No matter how often I follow the instruction flag of "press alt and click" whether on background or layer(there is no layer on the pic I last tried it on) the clone tool simply will not clone.   Dead as a dodo, it's just a moving circle that does nothing.  It worked at first but then decided not to without making any adjustments or new setting.

That "powerful" inbrush tool, doesn't work with straight lines or regular patterns.  The clone tool might help out there, oh wait...

26 minutes ago, Chimes said:

Oh here's another example of it ignoring me.  No matter how often I follow the instruction flag of "press alt and click" whether on background or layer(there is no layer on the pic I last tried it on) the clone tool simply will not clone.

There is always a layer, if you have anything in your document.

The question is, what kind of layer is it? Also, how did you get the image into the document?

If you use File > Open (or Ctrl+O) and open an image file (JPG, TIFF, PNG) then you have a pixel layer (it will show (Pixel) in the Layers panel). But if you drag and drop an image onto an Affinity Document, or use File > Place to add an image as a new layer in the Affinity Document, you will have a kind of vector layer that will show as (Image) in the Layers panel.

If you have a (Image) layer, you would need to Rasterize that layer before inpainting. There are other possibilities, but if you will not help us help you, i.e., by providing screenshots or other documentation when requested, then we can't, and you will be on your own.

Re: wasting your money: if you purchased directly from Serif (not Microsoft or Apple) within the last 14 days then you can return the software and get your money back. Contact affinityreturns@serif.com to initiate that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ok, thanks for your replies, but I'm past the 14-day thing, and I'll be honest, I can still use it, but just not on certain kinds of images requiring certain kinds of fixes.  Here's an image for example, where I just want to wipe off the green "danger" label on the right hand bar.  Although I was expecting it to be a straightforwars inpainting or maybe cloning adjustment the results I'm getting are extremely messy and unusable.  What is it I'm missing?

Tried to upload jpg, by the way, but couldn't.  Here's the RAW file, anyway.

IMG_3337.CR2

Hi,

Inpainting is straightforward, but the result depend of the initial selection/area. One a little bit larger or lower will dupplicate the lower part of the image.

I just opened, developped and reduced the size of your image (and of screenshots) before using the inpainting tool:

2019-08-10_111750v2.png.77e7325f8d7bda07cc09fe7c7816ec1b.png

2019-08-10_111906v2.png.048ff8991c3fbd8dfdb7f7b7d71f36e2.png

2019-08-10_111919v2.png.c225966f53eb487243021266de775138.png

2019-08-10_111947v2.png.f8cfcfa579d363d2f2596c9c5955c4fa.png

It need a little more work to have clean edges on the left and less yellow tint in the middle, but it can be done with 2-3 inpainting strokes.

Just for the fun: I've made a selection (with the lasso-tool) and then pressed alt + backspace because Iam too lazy to use the inpaint-brush. Then I've made another selection around the yellow spill/reflection on that handle-bar and desaturated it with the HSL-adjustment. Ah and during the delevopment I made a little color-noise reduction. Took me less then 5 min.

IMG_3337.thumb.jpg.774613ff733306d48f6c9b90371b2b22.jpg

I needed about 15 minutes for this result. I used three tools, Inpainting Tool, Clone Brush and Selections Brush.

IMG_3337.thumb.jpg.aa8d8aedb048f38e3c8b2a723e1f87ca.jpg

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)