You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unwanted space at the end of the page

I just finished a 500 pages book with Affinity Publisher. It went relatively well, but I notice some place, in the last line of a page, where ther is a big space at the right of the last line in the middle of a paragraph. I found two instences of this problem within the first 100 pages.

The problem may be temporarely solved by shrinking the text to force the next word on the line. Hard to reproduce, but it's definitively a bug.

Capture d’écran, le 2019-07-30 à 18.41.19.png

Indeed weird and hard to reproduce. Wouldn't you expect the word "rapidement" become hyphenated? Does the gap disappear if you manually enter hyphenation for "rapidement"?

Would you mind to post page 83/84 as .afpub? With a quick test I don't get this issue:

599813049_gapatlineendfrench.jpg.2cbfd0bbfb57b3fc9eedf3f082a7d2f4.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Maybe it's linked to my hyphenation preferences. I have set a fairly large end of column zone to prevent any crosspage hyphenation. Hyphenation from a page to the next is the 8th deadly sin of the book typography.

Editing the document to include just two pages would take to long, and it wouldn't help without the font.

Capture d’écran, le 2019-07-30 à 20.27.24.png

It'  the end of column zone indeed. I found another instance and put an exception. It worked, but now I have an hyphen across the page :(

Basically, I can chose between looking every page to chase hyphen or every page to chase inappropriate end of line space. Everytime there is a change across the entire book.

Capture d’écran, le 2019-07-30 à 20.44.52.png

Capture d’écran, le 2019-07-30 à 20.46.09.png

Nice to hear that you've come up with a solution - even if it's just a workaround that does not fix the obvious flaw.

I wonder if it would happen again in a new document with the same text and formatting - or if it is possibly a temporary problem in your specific file and objects.

10 hours ago, Philippe Roy said:

Editing the document to include just two pages would take to long, and it wouldn't help without the font. 

Oh, I haven't been aware about a problem before I just noticed:

I had expected to be able to copy individual text frames from a chain of linked frames and get only their content, but not all the text. This is a pity indeed and requires much more work to extract only two pages. In my opinion this AfPublisher behavior does not make sense.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 1:21 PM, thomaso said:

I wonder if it would happen again in a new document with the same text and formatting

It's a bug that happen with other fonts and documents. And if, like me, you don't accept lonely words at the end of paragraphs and too much space between words, it's difficult!

I noticed that for not having capitalized words and ends of columns/pages hypenation, the resulting text is nearly without hyphenation.  And if score is set to a higher value than 2, the rules above aren't respected.