You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving Artboard as an SVG without a border in the result

Hi there,

I'm trying to export a layer as an SVG, but when I open the finished product, there is a border around it (I think it is from the artboard). Wondering if I can set it so every layer can be exported without a square border around it.

More detail:

I have a file setup as a grid of artboards (see attached) and I want those objects (with no border) exported as an SVG. Looking something like this:

issue-one.thumb.png.6ce979eceeef3f353735b0e74c3c9106.png

Switching to Export Persona, I have slices of every artboard and in this case select "Page 1" to export as an SVG. I can see that every slice has a little symbol of a pentagon and a circle surrounded by a purple square border. I've seen in tutorials that this symbol can be just the shapes colored yellow (this is what I expect I want to have in this case). So the Exporting looks like this:

issue-two.thumb.png.ace8f193b9941e1dd0413d8435fd2e0e.png

After saving it off and opening the resulting SVG file, I end up with the desired objects from the layer, but I also have a rectangle surrounding the whole thing. It looks like I can delete it manually and save it off again to just get the objects in the layer. I'm wondering how to set it so I don't get a border of where the artboard was in my outputted SVG. So I want to stop exporting the highlighted rectangle:

issue-three.thumb.png.4b7300896c8be8bd867cd59f5a89417b.png

Let me know if you need clarification. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's a test file: svg_export_testing.afdesign

Best,

Zach

• Staff

Hi zac_,

Welcome to the forums :) 

This has been discussed previously here - 

I'll make sure to bump the dev report with your post now, many thanks!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 11 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Barnye,

Unfortunately there's been no update on the development log, however this was marked as an improvement and not a bug, so it will have a lower priority than other issues - my apologies!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks Dan,

The reason I'm interested is because I'm currently busy exporting a large number of svg's placed on individual artboards and I'm having to individually open every file delete the errant rectangle and then re-export. It's quite a frustrating process!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am running up on the same issue-- I have to export these SVGs to work for web animation, and this is a must.

Under certain export settings, it doesn't only create a <rect /> for the artboard, but also a <g /> with id "Artboardname1". Is this a bug?

Edited by ptt

• Staff

Hi @ptt,

14 hours ago, ptt said:

Under certain export settings, it doesn't only create a <rect /> for the artboard, but also a <g /> with id "Artboardname1". Is this a bug?

What settings are these please? Does this happen with any artboard file, or only a specific one?

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 2/2/2021 at 1:01 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @ptt,

What settings are these please? Does this happen with any artboard file, or only a specific one?

(Thanks!) Rookie mistake, forgot to take note of the settings and now can't remember. I'll post here again when I come across it. 
I don't think it was anything specific to that artboard file-- I was testing out SVG exports and it only had a single rectangle and a text box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had to deal with this issue myself.

My workaround for now: Don't create the slices from the artboard. Instead group all items on the artboard (a layer works, too) and create a slice from this group/layer. In some cases I have to adjust the slice position and size to cover the complete artboard, but other than that the export works flawless and I don't get the annoying rect with fill:none...

Cheers.