You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe RAW DNG opens in Photo Persona

Pro Camera app installed on my IOS iPhone XS has RAW setting, exporting in Adobe Raw DNG format.  If I open image, on latest macOS Mojave, Finder, Photos, open with Affinity Photo.  The RAW DNG opens in Photo Persona, not the Develop Persona.  Is this intended code or is this a possible bug? Although in Photos and Pro Camera App, it indicates RAW, if I drag from Photos directly to Desktop, it"s converted to jpeg. If I dragged the photo to Drag files here to attach, if changes to jpeg.  

If I, from camera app, share to iMessage to myself, I receive file as RAW. However, photo immediately changes to jpeg in Affinity Photo.  My gut tells me this is macOS code,  not Affinity Photo.  Thank you, system details listed in profile.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

3 hours ago, Callum said:

HI Cecil,

If possible could you provide the DNG so I can try this at my end?

Thanks

C

To demonstrate the problem, I will attached two images, a RAW {DNG} photo I took Tv.  I took a screen shot, first image file, to show that it was saved as DNG file.  The second, when I attached or drag from macOS changes file to jpeg.  The same happens, if I open photo with Affinity Photo or drag the photo from Finder into Affinity Photo.  Pro Camera app indicates this is a RAW photo. The photo is poor quality, I just took a photo of my Tv screen to capture attachments.

IMG_1437.jpeg

2019-07-31_07-55-22-0400-1.jpeg

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

1 hour ago, Callum said:

If possible could you provide the actual dng file?

Only way, I know that I could do that is sending email from the Pro Cam app, Share function.  If I try to import to forum, it’s changed to jpeg.  I don’t have Drop Box account.  I think if I could attached DNG file, my problem would be solved.  I’m stumped.  Did ask Pro Camera support if this is a known issue, no reply to date.  As I am taking photo from iPhone XS, I have to iMessage the file to myself.  I tried the following:

1) drag photo from iMessage iMac to Desktop - changes to jpeg

2) drag photo to Affinity Photo from iMessage - changes to jpeg

3) Open with Affinity Photo - changes to jpeg, also same from Finder

Cecil 

I had a brain f*** and used iPhone Shortcut I made to open Photos from my IPad Pro directly in Affinity Photo for editing.  It opened as RAW image, in Develop Persona.  So begs the question why format is lost when importing macOS Mojave to Affinity Photo.

Cecil 

Callum,

This is a screen shot of the photo I sent, with screen capture from macOS Picture folder.

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 2.06.27 PM.jpg

Cecil 

My post to this thread failed to post.  Just a test to see if this post finds it’s way to forum. 

Cecil