You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - Not possible to change spell check language globally

If I want to change the spell check language I have to select each text frame individually because when they are in groups and I select the whole document and change the language in the character panel, it doesn't change it for the text fields in groups.

This is pretty cumbersome and and I think could be done better. Maybe have the character panel language dropdown effect also text fields in groups or maybe have a way of changing the language globally.

I'm not sure what you mean about it not working for text frames that are in groups. Can you explain that a bit more?

In general, the language will default to being the same language you've set for the Publisher User Interface in Preferences.

The way that works is that the UI language becomes the Spelling Language assigned to the Paragraph Text Style banned Base. Other styles inherit from Base, so as long as you assign a paragraph style to your text you get your UI language.

Or, you could manually update Base before you start entering the text, and save your new Base definition as a default.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I created a couple of text frames and nested them in a group with a sub-group like this:

"Group"

L "Text frame"

L "Text frame"

L "Sub-group"

L "Text frame"

L "Text frame"

L "Text frame"

L "Text frame"

If I select the parent group and change the spell check language it doesn't change it for all the elements in that group. Now imagine having multiple of these group elements in your document. You have to manually select each text frame and change the language.

Why it wasn't the correct language in the first place doesn't matter here in my opinion. Just that it is very cumbersome to change the spell check language of a whole document. But I think it was because I created the document on a computer that was running a different UI language.

Thanks. Selecting a Text Frame by selecting it in the Layers panel does not allow you to change the spelling language. that is an attribute of the contents of the Text Frame, so you actually need to select the text itself. Using the Layers panel only selects the frame, not its contents.

If the frames are linked you could click in the first one and then use Ctrl+A to select all the text, then change the language.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem.
I enjoy working in Publisher and am in the process of converting documents made in InDesign (mostly) and print PDFs for changes.
All of these documents have multiple language layers, and I work mostly in English.
It would be very helpful and far less time consuming(!!!) to have a global layer command to address changing language/spelling settings.
Thank you for considering this in a future update... if it hasn't been implemented yet (I can't find it if it has?)  

1 hour ago, Doc Pixel said:

It would be very helpful and far less time consuming(!!!) to have a global layer command to address changing language/spelling settings.
Thank you for considering this in a future update... if it hasn't been implemented yet (I can't find it if it has?)  

It hasn't. To make a feature request you can post a new topic in the Feedback for Affinity Publisher on Desktop forum.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

It work the same as in ID, you need to set your Paragraph styles, or Base paragraph style first.

On ID, you would be able to modify this one by one if you didn't create your styles properly, or with a script that would do it for you.

Thank you for your answer.
However it's a very inelegant solution with either software.
I'm hoping that Publisher becomes more than InDesign was, is... or will ever be.
At this point in time with digital layout (DTP) over 35+ years old, I would hope that software can someday finally take advantage of the extreme power computers make available. Jumping through hoops, hacks, plugins and scripts is so 1990's. /minirant

Again... thank you for your reply though!