You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

can I measure the length in Designer (Measure tool)

let's say I make a drawing or a text. For example "AFFINITY IS SUPER", and a screen has to be made for printing on a t-shirt. But the dimension of the text must be 280 mm wide. It can also be a text + drawing + text, for example "AFFINITY IS SUPER, then the logo of Affinity and then an other text. The whole thing must be 280 mm wide and 300 mm high.

Is that possible? Illustrator has the measure tool.

• Staff

Thanks iMac1943 :) Yes it is!

Yes, measurements are important. This was requested a couple times already.

I believe Ben is working on improvements to snapping that will also bring some benefits here but i'm not aware of all the details to give you a definite answer. Rest assured there will be news here.

• Staff

Usually we only update the trial when a new major Mac App Store version is out.

If you want to test all the latest improvements introduced in the App, i advise you to try the latest Beta which is updated regularly (you can get it from here). Since you don't have the MAS version installed it will also work as a trial. Note that it will not extend the current trial period.

• 1 month later...

I want to open a file and I get the message that my file is made with a program coming from an unknown developer... I bought it from the Mac App Store!!!

The issue is within Apple's security policy... You'll need to change your security settings in order to allow OS X open files from "qualified developers" (not sure if it's written this way, my OS is in Portuguese). Anyway, it's on the 'General' tab at 'Security and Privacy' settings.

Now, back on topic: the measurement tool is definitely something I'm looking after as well (my entire professional life is entrenched on CAD software; 16 years on this industry), so any tool that remotely resembles precision drawing is a plus for me. :-)

Naturally, I'm not expecting that a 50$ app would be able to fulfill any CAD pretensions, although I have to say that there are some places where both environments converge somehow.

• 2 years later...

When I am correct the Affinity team is working on movable rules for the 1.7 version of Designer.

I hope 1.7 will be available soon because I really miss that feature too.

However, you can have a movable ruler by drawing one yourself. However watch the resolution if you go for this method. I have one for 72, another one for 96 and for 300 dpi. Use very thin lines and group it when the ruler is finished. At least you can move it around and measure easily. If you use different measurements, like mm, pixels, you need a ruler for each measurement. It is time consuming but for this moment the only way to have a movable ruler.

Maybe a plugin feature where users can create their own plugins. In this way, we can add our own functionality (like the measurement) ourselves (if we know how to program it). Maybe an idea for the future?

Be creative

A few months ago I found in a thread on this forum that movable rulers will be available in version 1.7. Last week, I read somewhere here on this forum that it should be available by the end of this year (2018). A knife tool should also be in the pipeline. Maybe somebody from Serif can shine more light on this.

But together with you, I also hope it will come soon. I am sure this is worth the wait.

• Staff

Hi Bad_Wolf,
Ruler's improvements will be available in v1.7 first in the customer beta (no eta yet) and later this year in the release version (assuming there's no issues with it). Although a Knife Tool is indeed in Affinity Designer's roadmap there's no guarantees it will appear in v1.7 already. Other features on the list may appear first depending on how the development goes. All of them will be added as free updates during the 1.x cycle of the app.

For more information and a few sneaks peaks of what's already implemented/coming in 1.7 check this thread.