You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Application won't start at all

Hi there,
I have issues starting my app: ( the same goes for the publisher version, for the photo version it is opening the app but once I hit the button save, it displays an endless loading cursor )
I'm on a MacBook pro and when I start the application it won't work at all: it does display ( sometimes ) the main illustration representing the app but that's all, and then I have to force to quit each time and for all three applications
Do you have any advice  ?
image.png.61090f8b5ec8bc316819e2588ad6fd16.png

• Staff

Hi Laureline,

Can you try resetting Publisher by hold ctrl on your keyboard when launching the app, select all and then click Clear.  Does Publisher then start up?

Also do you have the same issue with the beta, which can be downloaded from here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/92781-affinity-publisher-customer-beta-172422/

Hi, there I tried your technique with affinity designer:

•  First of all thanks for your answer, it did at list show me more ( working space of affinity designer ) than I lastly did ( just the representative illustration of the app )
  • I did clear it all and it shows me the workspace ... however, this is not working either as it keeps displaying an endless loading cursor freezing the app and then I still need to force quitting ... I'll try the beta version of affinity publisher beta  :'( 

Publisher beta:

• I regularly launch it : did load a bit while opening, did the same process ( create something and then save ): on saving still the endless loading cursor freezing the app .... temporary miracle happened: it finally save it.
  • Then I quit the app, relaunch it by double clicking: was loading for ever, did froze the app, had to force to quit,  and have to force to quit.
  • Then I launch by holding on ctrl then clear, then it launches again but frozen + forever loading cursor : had to force to quit.

+ On Facebook, they are talking ( slowly ... ) about fonts .... but I did not added fonts lately and were asking me to disable all user font but still did not work.

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Laureline said:

Publisher beta with the picture mounted is working

That's good.  Might be worth uninstalling the release version of Publisher and reinstalling it.

5 minutes ago, Laureline said:

once added to the applications folder did work too for the moment

Has it stopped working again?

I did try the three of them : first with the disk image once installed, and once cleared holding ctrl while opening I managed to make all them work.
Then I copied them into applications folder.
Then few time regularly quit them and re open ( just did the normal opening, not needed to hold on ctrl ) them and did some things to save then close them again.
Once I did that I shut down the computer ( which was also meaning the temporary  image application was ejected ) 
I tried to open them again: without holding ctrl ... there was the endless cursor loader again and the illustration ( no work space )
Then I did tried again but this time by holding ctrl ... did see the illustration, and work place but with an endless loader:

• except for publisher, I thought it was an endless loader but it actually made it while I was writing all this.
  • for designer and photo : it still not working 

I received a message on facebook and got back to it after the post above:
here is the message:

"I'm sorry to hear this, my colleague has informed me you've also contacted us through the forums. In order to resolve this issue as quickly as possible we'll continue to support this through the forums from here. Could you please confirm the following on your forum thread - do you have any third party antivirus installed? Do you have any third party VPN or internet connection management software installed? Please open your Console app then select your Mac name under the 'Devices' list on the left hand side. Now Search for the word 'designer' in the top search box. With this Window open, try to start Designer. Once the app doesn't load, please close it and return to the console, select all lines created and copy and paste these into a text document, the attach this to your post on the forums. Many thanks in advance."

Here the following file returninng logs from  afinity designer.

console_designer.txt

Hi there, thanks again for your reactivity !!! 

• I launched it from the download ( without adding it into the applications ) it did work wonderfully ( no need of holding ctrl ) 
  • Then I added it into the application, then launched it, did work fine too ( without holding ctrl )
  • Then I restarted the mac, launched the application pinned in the dock ( without holding ctrl ),
    • did launch but was loading, I've waited,  and then forced to quit 
    • did relaunch it: was loading for few secs, then get the workplace out, did some new sheet and modify it and save it ( with a keyboard shortcut ), id did load for a while ( less than a minute ) then I forced to quit
    • did relaunch it cause I thought it may be caused by the macbookpro "waking up" ( max 2 years, more likely 1.5 so quite new ): did a new sheet, did some modifications, hit ctrl+s, did perfectly save, then quit normally and redo it twice again and still work smoothly.

What should I do next?

On 8/1/2019 at 10:33 AM, Laureline said:

I launched it from the download ( without adding it into the applications )

Could you explain a bit more about that? The Affinity apps have to be installed to work correctly, which generally means they are added to the root level Applications folder, either automatically if you bought them from the Mac App Store or by running the downloaded installer & supplying your product key & email address to validate the app if you bought them from the Affinity Store.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

indeed you install them anyways but in this part I was explaining I just launch from the disk within the installer and not from the application saved in application that's all.
Any update on the applications cause I'm still not able to use the affinity designer ( not the beta one ) 

2 minutes ago, Laureline said:

indeed you install them anyways but in this part I was explaining I just launch from the disk within the installer and not from the application saved in application that's all.

I'm sorry but I do not understand what you mean by this. What is it "within the installer" that you are launching?

Either the app has been installed or it has not. If it is, it is installed somewhere on your system, usually in the top level Applications folder, the folder you go to if in Finder you use the "Go" menu item "Applications," the one with a keyboard shortcut of "⇧⌘A" (Shift-Command-A). If it is there, then that is what launches when you run the app.

The installer, if present, is a separate app that, as the name suggests, installs the Affinity app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 8/4/2019 at 8:33 AM, Laureline said:

It is installed ... and still not working

Where specifically is it installed? If you right click on the Dock icon, in the menu that pops up select Options > Show in Finder. In the Finder window with the app name selected, from the File menu select "Get Info." Post a screenshot of the General section of the Info window, showing the name & the path to where it is located.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Laureline said:

Hi, here is the screenshot 

OK, I think that looks normal, more or less. But can you explain more about what you meant in this part of one of your previous posts:

On 8/1/2019 at 10:33 AM, Laureline said:

Then I restarted the mac, launched the application pinned in the dock ( without holding ctrl ),

• did launch but was loading, I've waited,  and then forced to quit 
  • did relaunch it: was loading for few secs, then get the workplace out, did some new sheet and modify it and save it ( with a keyboard shortcut ), id did load for a while ( less than a minute ) then I forced to quit
  • did relaunch it cause I thought it may be caused by the macbookpro "waking up" ( max 2 years, more likely 1.5 so quite new ): did a new sheet, did some modifications, hit ctrl+s, did perfectly save, then quit normally and redo it twice again and still work smoothly.

Are you saying that after you restarted, it hung on loading & no interface (no panels, menu bars, etc.) appeared at all, or something else? Did you even get the Splash screen, or nothing at all?

Then, after relaunching it, are you saying it did finish starting up & you were able to create a new document & save it? If so, why did you force quit the app?

Finally, in the last part of that post it seems like you are saying everything is working normally now. Is that not true?

Affinity Photo 

Are you saying that after you restarted, it hung on loading & no interface (no panels, menu bars, etc.) appeared at all, or something else? Did you even get the Splash screen, or nothing at all?

Yes indeed sir, the representative illustration was actually the splash, but no pannel no menu bars etc ... once I succeed to launch it, for instance through publisher and then clicked on designer sometimes it kept working more often, however each time I was thinking it finally set properly, I would restart and do the final check : if it handles it or would once again have trouble launching it and indeed it kept having trouble launching it.
It depends on the steps you are doing but anyway I'm sure it is an unusual case.

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

Can you start the applications from an entirely new user account? That is, a user account created from Apple Menu > System Preferences > Users & Groups:)

Looks fine so far: 

• did configure a new user with sharing files
  • did download from trial version I had on my affinity profile ( I took the first designer logo and thought it was the released one ) 
  • the file did download :
    • I double tap on it to open the dmg file
      • it did ask for authentification ( never had that the past times I tried to reinstall it )
      • applied code
    • It did ask to replace the old application within applications folder ( at this point I realised my applications too were shared ), which I cancel
    • I search for it (command + space)
    • double taped to open
    • and it opened within 1-3 sec with all  ( pannel, menues, splashscreen everything ) 
    • I then regularly quit the app ( not forcing it )  and open it and stop it two other times: no problems found
  • Switched back to my regular admin user profile , launched the app ... and it still trying to open from the moment I found that thread to write you a reply and probably for more minutes 

• Staff

Hi @Laureline,

It really is sounding like another app getting in the way of Designer.  May explain why the New User Account worked but then again, if that's shared the Apps from your other user account, i'd expect the same issue in the new one.

I've got the crash logs you sent to be via email and i'll pass on the info about the New User Account seems to have worked, as that may help identify the problem :)