You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Getting updates to linked documents to always display automatically

Hi,

From these forums, I’ve learnt the difference between a linked picture file and a linked document file and the impact it can have on the size of the Publisher document. I hope this is something Affinity will address soon.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/94017-linking-one-publisher-file-within-another-publisher-file/&tab=comments#comment-500060

However, I’m finding a linked document in a frame in Publisher doesn’t automatically update if the linked document is changed unless I have both the linked document and the Publisher document open at the same time. The linked documents are usually in Illustrator or PhotoShop formats or are another Publisher file,  and if the Publisher file is closed when I update the linked document, the changes don’t show through when I re-open the Publisher file.

I have selected the “prefer linked” option when I set the Publisher document up and I have also activated the “update linked files” command in the General Preference settings (I don’t have my copy of Publisher to hand, so I may have the wording slightly wrong on that one). When I come to print or export the Publisher file, I will get a pop-up saying something like “Linked files have been changed – do you want to update them?” Also, if I manually check the Resource Manager, it indicates the linked document has been modified and offers me an update option. So the programme obviously knows the linked documents have changed – does anyone know how to get the programme to display these change automatically?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice offered.