Sign in to follow this  
Richard786

What's the point of "Go to Spread"?

Hi,

Can I ask what the point of the “Go to Spread” command is, which can be activated by right-clicking a Publisher Page Thumbnail? Surely a page IS a spread? I’ve found if I don’t click this first, alterations I make on the Page/Spread affect the Master Page – even if what’s on the Master Page is placed from another file. It can be a bit lethal if I don’t keep an eye on it.

Thanks in advance for  any and all replies.

The more usual way to navigate to a page for content editing would be to double-click on the page in the Pages panel, or to specify the page number in the navigator on the lower left of the window (on the same line as the status bar). But Go To Spread from the right-click menu will do it, too.

A single-click merely selects the page for operations within the Pages panel (applying or removing Master page content from a page, duplicating the page, moving a page). If you want to select the page for content editing you need to double-click, or use Go to Spread, or use the page navigator.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Thanks, Walt.

Double-clicking twice on the thumbnail to go to the spread makes sense, but being able to call up the master page with just one click on the PAGE thumbnail doesn’t – and can lead to errors if the spread has not had any work done it (the user thinks they are working on the spread page, but they are really mucking up their master).

It might be better if this single-click option was disabled.

A single click selected only the page you clicked on. If you click on a document I've that would not set you up to modify s Master page.

The common trap is intentionally editing the Master, then single-clicking on a document page in the Pages panel rather than double-clicking.

That leaves you on the Master for editing.

So, always double-click on the page icon for the page that you want to edit, and reserve single-clicking for selecting a page for the meta-operations that you can do within the Pages panel.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

6 hours ago, Richard786 said:

page IS a spread?

A spread consists of one or more pages, so a page might be a spread, or it might be half a spread...  in the future it might be a third of a spread in some cases...

1 hour ago, Vletterman said:

What to do if  double-click on the page in the Pages panel does nog work?

Switching from Master page to spread works only for Page 1.

I've never seen a double-click on a page in the Pages panel fail, but if it does you might try the page navigator on the lower-left side, next to the status bar.

-- Walt

Thanks Walt. Actually I found the navigator left below. But it seems easier to me to double click on the Pages. Which does not work, I cannot find the solution.