You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export acts weird in Designer for iPad

I'm still not used to Designer for iPad but it seems the "export option" (not the persona) doesn't work well. It's very unreliable: I have various work areas but when using the Export option it is set to whole document and not let me choose a work area... Unless I first select a work area, then the section to choose areas can be selected when exporting... But the resolutions given by the export option seems to be of the area selected before entering the Export option... It doesn't matter which work area I select inside the Export option (it does export the area chosen in the list but at the resolution of the area (or areas) selected before entering the Export option). Or, for example, I select an object, go inside the Export option and select a work area to export: the resolution is not the correct but it seems related to the object size I selected.

Also, if I want to enter the resolution manually for the area to export it is unreliable, even if the lock is on I see it doesn't respect it and gives a wrong resolution for the height or width.

The Export option is acting crazy and I can export effectively is what I'm saying.

I use an iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd Gen), app and iOS updated.

• Staff

Hi anthx,

When you create a new document, what Document Preset are you using?  The Device Presets will be applying scaling, so if you start a new document with the Device option set to iPad 12.9 retina at 144 DPI when you create a 500 by 500 pixel square and go to export and set it to that area only, the size would be 1000, as it's being scaled for the device.

I've not had any trouble setting the width and height at this stage to 500 pixels by 500 pixels.

I don’t know about that (I’ll check that behavior later)  but it seems unrelated with what I’m describing... I’m not only talking about changes in output resolution but that it doesn’t respect proportions sometimes, as I described. Like when typing manually width or height and the other value doesn’t scale proportionally even with the lock on. Weird behavior :(

• Staff

Sorry if i've misunderstood the issue.

Can you post a screen recording the issue?  The iPad allows screen recording as show here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207935 

Also in Preferences of Affinity is the option to show Touches.  If you can enable that before the recording, it just insures we can see what's being pressed and have a better chance of replicating it  :)  Also an example .afdesign file would help as well :)

I made the video... it shows my main concerns (explained above) while doing a new file, and some extra bits like: By the last part one exported image fails the size by 1 pixel (2100 x 2099, maybe my artboard wasn’t drawn well but in the export windows it did shows 2100x2100 as export resolution) and other exported image exports at a different resolution that expected I don’t know why (2196x2196 instead of 2100x2100).

https://youtu.be/ptJl4NPXGj0

In the video is shown I can predict (almost certainly) the output resolution because it is the one of the artboard or object selected... though sometimes it may vary (for some reason) or if I try to input manually the resolution it may not maintain the proportion (that I didn’t show in the video).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 6:36 PM, manthx said:

So, does anyone else have this problems exporting?

Edit: I accidentally had PSD set for export to photo album, all dimensions respected. With PNG or JPG I confirmed your defect. PSD IN photos added, dimensions respected.

PS: Never realised PSD files could be stored in IOS Photos !!

4F127528-E6C7-48E1-BFAF-02EC78AC688A.jpeg

2AA7C3CD-87AB-411A-88D4-78697917821D.jpeg

2F728083-775A-41F6-AEA2-3DB996D74DC4.png

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help