You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are there any plans to add tethering feature to Affinity Photo?

Phase One is ripping us off completely with Capture One upgrade prices.

They need some serious competition to help them keep it real and if anyone could do it it would be you guys and girls.

56 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Photo isn't really the right application model for a tethering feature.  This would be more appropriate for a DAM solution, such as the one Serif has indicated they are working on, though we don't know what that program will look like yet or when it may come to light.

I have to disagree. A Digital Asset Manager is not the appropriate application to create a new file, it is for managing digital assets. Photo is the more appropriate application but even here I would prefer other more pressing changes and improvements to be made before adding this function. After all only the Mac version can access the scanners (Acquire Image... in the File menu). Perhaps the customers who run Windows would like to have that feature added first.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

to create a new file,

The key here being your use of the singular word "file".

For tethered camera operation you are generally capturing multiple images.  If this were only a matter of capturing the images, there would be no value in buying anything, the camera companies generally provide free software which supports tethering for their own cameras.

The value of having this feature in a 3rd-party product is in having the incoming images (plural) organized and ready for culling, developing and editing.  This fits into the model of a photography-oriented RAW development tool (such as Capture One, which is a significant player in that particular market segment) because it has the images from a session in place and ready to start working with, as a group, by the time the capture session is completed (or even while it is still underway, if you have one person capturing the images with the camera and a different person sitting at the computer working with the images).  Photo is not appropriate because of the fact that it is optimized for working with one image at a time, rather than working with a collection of images as a group.

My assumption is that the DAM solution that Affinity is working on will either provide RAW development capabilities internally or in some way simplify an interface to accessing them within Photo.  Since the tethering capability really hinges on working with a collection of multiple photos, I still contend that this fits into the DAM model much more closely than the single-photo-at-a-time model of a program like Photo.  Whether or not it turns out to be a good fit for the DAM that Serif is working on, it most definitely is NOT a good fit for Affinity Photo in its current form.