mazarin

Snapping too buggy and Unrealiable

You have snap to grid turned on, but Im not seeing any snapping happening at all.  Are you sure you're not holding the Alt key?  That would turn snapping off.  

Other than that - try turning Snap to grid off, and see what happens.  Try turning off snapping on the context bar, but leave snap to pixel on.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Intentionally, slices work in pixel space only, so snapping is restricted to other slices.  Other objects in the document can be placed at sub-pixel positions, so it makes little sense to snap to them - they may contribute partially to pixel values, but the exported object wants to mirror what is seen in the 1x and 2x pixel preview modes.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Intentionally, slices work in pixel space only, so snapping is restricted to other slices.  Other objects in the document can be placed at sub-pixel positions, so it makes little sense to snap to them - they may contribute partially to pixel values, but the exported object wants to mirror what is seen in the 1x and 2x pixel preview modes.

Thats quite an elitist and quite backwards thinking. What if I or someone else doesn't want or need a pixel perfect work? Those slices are great to export individual objects or parts of a work, but without the snapping its hard to join all those parts.
Photoshop and Illustrator can snap slices to almost anything, which make them useful to almost anyone.

Im really impressed by this software, but I hope that way of thinking is not a constant here.

I'm not sure why this is "elitist"..?

Actually, Photoshop slices work in pixel space too.  If it looks like they are snapping to any vector objects, it'll be nearest pixel only.

Our slices snap to each other, so it's perfectly possible to join them together.  Also - if slices could be arbitrary, pixel content would need to be resampled. The output would then not match the pixel preview.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Does it make sense to make those snapping options unselectable which do not work/“make no sense” in the certain situation (e.g. Export Persona)?

((Perhaps davidescalante wants vector export by slices …))

I may revisit it in future - 

We added slice export support for PDF, SVG, EPS and PSD due to a small number of requests.  I'm not sure the people who requested it have complained that slices are always pixel aligned.

I am sure the majority of people who want slices want them for the old-school raster export.  They will be creating docs in pixels, previewing in 1x and 2x, and want their output to be pixel clean.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Alright, the snapping it still not working at all. Are you going to fix this one day or I should start to put a forever 1* rating on the App Store?

Yes I am running out of patience, I think I have been a lot, waiting for years for this problem to be fix. Pixel snapping is a basic feature that all your competitors are getting right.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91988183/Snapping%20Does%20Not%20Work.mov

And yes I tried to check / uncheck everything. The whole pixel, without whole pixel, document in point, document in pixels, everything.

Alright, the snapping it still not working at all.

Perhaps you should increase your zero tolerance (of AD of screen). ;)

You’re right, Oval, but I doubt that Dams will get your hint …  ;)

Once again, in plain text: please increase the snapping tolerance to a reasonable (non-zero) value, Dams, and you should be fine. Please report back, should you still experience problems …

EDIT Oh I see, you corrected “of AD” to “of screen,” Oval …  ;)

post-1198-0-48558500-1457022555_thumb.png

You’re right, Oval, but I doubt that Dams will get your hint …  ;)

Once again, in plain text: please increase the snapping tolerance to a reasonable (non-zero) value, Dams, and you should be fine. Please report back, should you still experience problems …

EDIT Oh I see, you corrected “of AD” to “of screen,” Oval …  ;)

This "hint" was never given before in this thread.

I never touched this thing

Well, this seems to be unbelievable, crazy, whatever. [Affinity Help does not explain how this parameter work mathematically/exactly.] On the other hand it seems logical: In very bad apps we can see and feel that some developers think mathematically, not like users that have no time for unusable things or a too complex UI. Especially here in AD many users don’t need three options to disable features.

Pehaps the mouse wheel changed it unnoticedly.

If even the staff doesn’t view all parameters that change situations … This is why we wanted overview screens showing short explanations of the features and the UI. Or an implemented gentleman’s gentleman.  ;) Should we make a feature request?

That’s true, it was never given before. Oval had made a nice wordplay in the post I answered, but he corrected it soon afterwards in order to make the intended meaning clearer. So at the outset I was not sure, if you understood properly what he meant. As my comment stands now, it is pretty nonsensical … please excuse this …  :)

The snapping tolerance shouldn't ever be set at zero.  I'll fix that and put a better minimum value on it.

I have also seen a number of other threads that have advised people to increase the snapping tolerance to make snapping more responsive, so this is not new information.

Are we still getting a 1 star, Dams?

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hey Im using Affinity Photo and I'm doing some pixel art. I was wondering if there is a way snap to grid but have the brush jump from grid square to grid square.

I'm using a brush that is 8x8 pixels. My grid spacing is 8x8 Pixels with no subdivisions.

So now I want the bursh just to snap to each indidvidual 8x8 space so every time i click its going to fill an 8X8 square within the bounderies of the grid. So my 8x8 brush always lines up with the grid.

If i hold down shift and click on three points I want it to comes out like the option on the left. 

But right now I am getting the result on the right.

If anybody knows how to set this up please let me know. Thx

pixel test example.JPG