mazarin

Snapping too buggy and Unrealiable

Hello.

I'm using Affinity Designer version 1.2.1

After spending some time playing with AD Trial (minutes in fact), like most people I was blown away by many of it's strengths, and I've quickly purchased AD.

Without wasting time, I decided to use it to do a real job. But... I quickly realized that snapping is too buggy to be used, which made me regret a little bit to be a AD early adopter.

And now I'm very worried because, from many posts on the forum, it looks like AD team is not aware of this, and possibly is not working on it.

I was thinking to make a video to explain this in detail, but I don't think it is necessary: Just open a new file, draw some lines and curves, and try to use snapping. Sometimes it will be buggy, and sometimes it will not work at all.

The "show snapping candidates" sometimes highlights objects randomly... the "snap to object geometry" doesn't work at all...

Well... sorry if I was a little hard with it, but this is too big to overcome.

Hi marzarin,

Out of interest could you uncheck Force pixel alignment on the Snapping Manager and give it another test, include snapping an object to another objects geometry.

Thanks

I think you are going to have to make a video to show what you mean.  I'm not aware of snapping being buggy - and there is certainly no "random" behaviour.  There are, however, things the user needs to understand in order to get the best out of snapping.

As explained in other posts and shown in our tutorial videos, we opted to use a candidate system for snapping to other objects on the canvas. This limits the number of potential snapping targets, and keeps things more manageable for the user.  If you turn on "Show snapping candidates" you will see some objects outlined in purple. These are your active candidates.  In order to snap to objects bounds, key points and geometry, an object first has to be a candidate.  You make a candidate by hovering over an object until it becomes outlined in purple.  New objects also become candidates as you create them.  You can have up to six candidates - after that the oldest candidates are popped off the list.

Snap to geometry is currently limited to only snapping to cusp (sharp) points.  We are adding snapping to mid-curves soon.

There is also tool-specific snapping - currently for the Pen and Node tool.  You can turn these on/off on the context bar.  These enable more focused snapping when creating and editing paths.  You will be able to line up nodes on axis with other nodes from selected objects (in addition to the global snapping to candidate bounds, etc).

I would suggest trying all the snapping options by enabling just one at a time, so you can see how they work.  We also offer a number of presets to assist in picking snapping option for given tasks.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi, Lee D and Ben.

Thanks for quick reply.

I've unchecked "Force Pixal Alignment" and the issue is still there.

I believe it's really best to show what I'm saying.

I made a video (youtube - not listed) to show my struggles with AD Snapping. The direct link is: https://youtu.be/Nu8MHIdxa_o

But after you explanation, I believe that what I'm trying to do is not buggy, but seems to be a limitation or a choice of AD team. In Fact, I simply can't do my normal work in the way it is now.

Can you please share the link where you are explaining everything about AD Snapping concept?

Hi mazarin,

The link you posted above isn't working: "This video is a duplicate of a previously uploaded video."

For more info about how snapping works in Affinity Designer check those videos (some may be a little outdated but the concept is similar):

- Snapping for Creating and Editing Objects

- Snapping for UI and Web Design

You can also look for "Snapping" in Affinity Designer Help. There's extensive information there, from Snapping Manager options to presets including links to related topics like Force Pixel Alignment.

Thanks for the video @mazarin.

Affinity doesn't snap to paths yet (only nodes) so it's not possible to replicate that behaviour from Illustrator.

Ben is still adding/improving the snapping system's features so you can expect some news here later.

Hi MEB and BEN. I hope to see this improvement in AD Snapping ASAP! Maybe already in AD version 1.2.2 ? ;)  Thanks

Yes - it will be coming very soon.  Snap to path will be a snapping feature of the Pen and Node tools.  It will allow snapping of a curve point to a selected or curve, or the geometry of a candidate object.

It was already written, but snapping was overhauled for reasons of performance and accuracy, and snap to curve requires refinement before I release it.

There are many other snapping improvements coming too.  We will, however, only release a feature when it is up to a standard we are happy with.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I arrived at this page because I couldn't make snapping work either. I'm using 1.2.1 (release version) on 10.10.4 (first time I've used AD on 10.10.4).

I created a new document, created a rectangle (moved it, resized it) then posted in a large (2928x1749) JPEG. I resized the JPEG to be a similar size to the rectangle and then dragged it to try to align the top-left corners.

Nothing. Snapping was 'on' and snapping manager was at default settings. I tried several different settings but dragging the JPEG (front object) produced the coloured edges (red and green) when it was close to the rectangle but releasing the mouse just dropped it where it was. Setting 'Force Pixel Alignment' made no difference. However, unsetting 'Force Pixel Alignment' again made it snap as expected.

As I sit here now, snapping is just coloured edges if I turn on pixel alignment and works when I turn it off again. So there's workaround; perhaps somebody has an uninitialised variable?  ;)

Hope this helps .. I'm off to do some snappy drawing  :rolleyes:

If you are seeing the red and green lines, then it is performing the snap as indicated.

Are you saying that it jumps to a different position when you release the mouse button?

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi, I'm trying to use snapping to grid.

I've already read few topics and watch again shared videos. It just doesn't work in Affinity Designer 1.3.2. I've played with all settings like pixel perfect, snap to grid, ui preset etc. Points are not on the grid, I can't use it to design simple icons. What's (might be) interesting, in Affinity Photo the problem is gone... What's more I can't see those green and red lines as well. :(

Any help with that? Thanks in advance.

Hi janek,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Those videos explain how to work with snapping in detail:

Snapping for UI and web design

Snapping for object creation

I've also created a small video showing how to set up snapping to work with half-pixels here (no audio). To make it work with full pixels just press Force Pixel Alignment in the Persona toolbar (the toolbar at the top).

To see the red and green lines (smart guides) make sure you have Snap to object bounding boxes and Include bounding box midpoints enabled in the Snapping Manager (menu View ▹ Snapping Manager...)

Let me know if you still have trouble.

Snapping doesn't seem to work when you move object neither. I tried both Force pixel alignemnent and by whole pixels and draggind a shape is inaccurate as hell.

I have to setup the coordinates with my keyboard by hand. All the basic bugs in this app keeps me losing time for every task.

@Dams

It is accurate to double precision.  You can't do any better than that with typical computer hardware. It also doesn't just make up positions - it will snap to what you've told it to snap to, and it will always snap to the thing closest to the position of the object you are moving.  As MEB says, it's possible that you have an object that is not a perfect pixel size, or you have other snapping candidate objects that are not pixel aligned.  You will always see some indicator to show you what it has snapped to.

Moving an object should place its top-left point on a pixel boundary if you have Move By Whole Pixels turned off.  If you have it turned on, the drag move will only ever move your selection by whole pixels, unless the snapper finds another object to snap to, such as the bounds of another snapping candidate or a guide.

When resizing an object using the edge handles, Move By Whole Pixels works to move that position by a whole pixel, but if turned off it will place the edge or corner you are moving onto a pixel boundary.

Note also that if you have "Include bounding box mid points" turned on, this can result in alignment to half pixels, as the size of your object may be odd resulting in the mid point being mid pixel.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

The “problem“ we have with the gradient tool is that snapping (of the stops) is not working right from the start and if one stop was already activated or if we want to snap an added stop, it does not snap. 

Hi Oval,

Currently only the end nodes of the gradient snap to objects/bounding boxes. Middle stop colour nodes don't snap to anything.

Besides them, Midpoint positions also snap to the middle of colour stops in the gradient controls on canvas.

I'm logging the issue regarding the snapping not working from the start and when "one stop was already activated" (this last one in just one specific situation).

Can you give me more details (steps to reproduce) regarding in which circumstances the second case (when one stop was already activated) fails for you?

Thanks.

Hi Miguel,

if that’s of any help … I often found that snapping the gradient endpoints fails particularly in two situations:

• When you turn snapping off and back on.
  • When you move or create a new gradient stop on the gradient fly-out panel.

Moving or just selecting another gradient stop on the canvas usually cures the snapping issues. I don’t know if these two issues belong to the category of “snapping not working from the start” or to the other, special one … (movie is from the latest beta, 1.3.5.5).

Cheers, Alex  :)

Snapping_Fails.mov

Hi Dams,

Are the shape dimensions integer values? Can you post an example file showing a case where you are having trouble to align an object so i can help you out?

Thanks.

Hi MEB.

I have attached a file.

Just an empty document and a square 120px by 120px, no way to snap it to pixels even with all options activated.

And a video showing pixel snapping doesn't work at all. coordinates are always floating even if I turn on whole pixel alignment.

Pixel Snapping.afdesign

Snapping to Pixel video.mov

Hi Dams,

Do the following:

Enable Force Pixel Alignment and uncheck Move by whole pixels. Then move the shape. It should align to the pixel grid.

Since your shape dimensions are integer values they will align with the pixel grid, however because you also have Move by whole pixels enabled, it will also move the shape whole pixel units. Given that the original X, Y coordinates are not integer values, Affinity Designer keeps giving you decimal places because it's adding whole units to the X,Y coordinates. If you uncheck Move by whole pixels it will be able to move just the necessary decimal places in both coordinates to align the shape with integer X,Y values as well.

Hi Dams,

Do the following:

Enable Force Pixel Alignment and uncheck Move by whole pixels. Then move the shape. It should align to the pixel grid.

Since your shape dimensions are integer values they will align with the pixel grid, however because you also have Move by whole pixels enabled, it will also move the shape whole pixel units. Given that the original X, Y coordinates are not integer values, Affinity Designer keeps giving you decimal places because it's adding whole units to the X,Y coordinates. If you uncheck Move by whole pixels it will be able to move just the necessary decimal places in both coordinates to align the shape with integer X,Y values as well.

Hi,

there is no difference for me weither Move by a whole pixels is chekced or unchecked. Same behavior. It's just like nothing is connected to real code when I touch anything in the snapping options :(