You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Make Font Display List Larger Size

Hello, as a longtime Photoshop user, and one who is getting old, and who has poor vision, I enjoy the fact that I can enlarge the font display list to a larger size in Photoshop, so that I can see exactly what each font will look like before I actually use it.

Sadly, it appears that with Affinity Photo, this is not so. The font list on the top left side of the window is way too tiny for my poor eyes, and I see nothing in the preferences which will allow me to change it. If there is a way to make the fonts in the list larger, and I am just missing it, please let me know. On the other hand, if there is currently no way to make the font list larger, I would hope that you will consider implementing this sometime in the near future. Thank you.

There is a default and large option in Preferences: User Interface but I doubt it will be enough for you. 

Screen-Shot-2019-07-30-at-07-18-28.png

You don't say which Operating System you are using but why not take a look at a font viewer, this one supports Mac, Windows and Linux: https://fontba.se/ I'm sure there are other options like on Mac you have FontBook which can display your fonts in a paragraph.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hello. Thank you for your response. Yes, I am aware of that setting and have already set it to "large" hours ago. However, I think you already surmised that that is not what I am talking about. I was referring to the "Artistic Text Tool" and the list of available fonts which is displayed when you use that tool. As you may know, in Photoshop, you can adjust the size of the display list quite large, so that you can see what the fonts will actually look like in a layer. In contrast, in Affinity Photo, there is no preference -- at least I couldn't find one -- to make the display list a larger point size. They are a rather small, fixed point size so that you really can't see the beauty of each font before using it.

BTW, I am running the Affinity Photo trial on a 27" iMac running Mojave 10.14.6.

Also, using a secondary font viewer defeats the purpose. The idea is to have everything right there in front of you, and not be distracted by having to open other apps. That is in fact one reason why I don't like certain PS plugins. That is, because they open a secondary modal window on your screen, which you have to switch to in order to implement some effect.

Anyway, I would request then that the Affinity Photo developer seriously consider giving us the ability to adjust the point size in the font list. Thank you!  :)

UPDATE: Well how about that! I just discovered that if you use the "Artistic Text Tool" to create a new text layer, and then hover and scroll over the available fonts in the font list menu, the text in the text layer automatically changes to show you what it will look like as you scroll up or down the list. Even Adobe Photoshop CS6 doesn't do that. So I am impressed. I think I like Affinity Photo's font display method better than Photoshop's method, although they are both good. :)

Edited by LongtimePhotoshopUser

• 4 years later...

I don't see any update to this and am having the same issue on windows. I don't see a way to make the font window larger to see more font options at one time. The window should go to the bottom of the screen, but mine only goes like 1/4 of what it should. 

How do we enlarge the window to see more fonts at once?

image.thumb.png.f425befc691d97fc447d2552aa40f36b.png

Welcome to the forums @Mr. Sam

This thread was about making the font previews larger in that list – to see the fonts better – rather than making the list longer.

Unless something has changed without me noticing it, on Windows you can’t make the list longer, it’s fixed at a much smaller length than on macOS.

This has been mentioned before:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/119542-increasing-the-size-of-the-font-family-dropdown/
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/162511-fonts-dropdown-window/
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/130361-font-list-on-screen/

etc. etc. ...but I don’t know if an actual request has been posted in the appropriate section.

(Also, this thread is for the V1 applications so it probably won’t make much difference to what happens in the future.)