You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Separate photos scanned on a flatbed?

Can Affinity Photo separate and straighten photos scanned on a flatbed scanner?

Being able to import the scan directly into Affinity Photo would be nice too, although I don't think it can do that right now if I've read other posts correctly.

Thanks,

Marcy

45 minutes ago, MarcySB said:

Can Affinity Photo separate and straighten photos scanned on a flatbed scanner?

Being able to import the scan directly into Affinity Photo would be nice too, although I don't think it can do that right now if I've read other posts correctly.

Thanks,

Marcy

Probably depends on your particulars. On the Mac, 'Acquire Image...' under the file menu will invoke the native Image Capture interface. 

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

I don't actually have Affinity Photo yet. I'm trying to see if it will do what I need. I did forget to say I'm on a Windows 10 PC. It sounds like the Acquire Image, if it is in Windows too, may do the flatbed scan.

The biggest thing is that if I scan multiple images using a flatbed scanner and open that in Affinity Photo, is there an easy way to separate the photos, easier than selecting each photo, copying it, and pasting it into a new document. Someone told me there is software that will recognize the photo edges and separate them for me. I was hoping Affinity Photo was one of those software programs that would do that.

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, MarcySB said:

I don't actually have Affinity Photo yet. I'm trying to see if it will do what I need. I did forget to say I'm on a Windows 10 PC. It sounds like the Acquire Image, if it is in Windows too, may do the flatbed scan.

The biggest thing is that if I scan multiple images using a flatbed scanner and open that in Affinity Photo, is there an easy way to separate the photos, easier than selecting each photo, copying it, and pasting it into a new document. Someone told me there is software that will recognize the photo edges and separate them for me. I was hoping Affinity Photo was one of those software programs that would do that.

Thanks.

I'll bow out and leave it for others to respond in detail then, both because I'm a Mac guy (the Acquire Image functionality, as named, is specific to the Mac) and because your use case is not something I do very often.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

I have done something similar when I was scanning leaves. I used VueScan to make the scan, and the resulting tiff is automatically loaded into Photo. I then deleted the background so that the individual leaves were isolated. For each leaf I used a rectangular marquee to select each leaf, then used Cut (Ctrl-X) followed by File > New from Clipboard. This gave me a single leaf in one image.

If you did this with your images, you would then use the crop tool to trim and straighten your photos. I am not aware of any way to do this automatically.

Edit:

To trim white space, use Document > Colors > Erase white space then Document >  Clip Canvas.

John

Edited by John Rostron
More information

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630