You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Studio Link in .422 fails on Designer Beta .434

Publisher at .422.  Downloaded Photo at .434 and StudioLink successfully linked.  Downloaded Designer at .434 and StudioLink failed (says get beta).

Uninstalled Designer beta and reinstalled. Same situation. Looked for earlier approaches - go to …\appinfo\Beta and delete Designer Release.appinfo. After most recent installed of Designer beta there is nothing under that directory.

For non-beta (Release directory) there is both Designer Release.appinfo and Photo Release.appinfo and of course for the Release version StudioLink worked out of the box (realizing that it didn't for many).

Windows 10 version 1903.

What next?

Just for another data point: I've installed Photo and Designer beta .434 and both Personas work fine in Publisher beta .422.

The complete directory path you're looking for is %programdata%\Affinity\Common\1.0\appinfo\Beta and you can type that into the location bar of a File Explorer window or you can type it into the box you get when you press the Windows key and R together. I do have .appinfo files in there for Designer, Photo, and Publisher. You might confirm that that's the directory you checked.

Beyond that, sorry, I have no suggestions.

But in case it matters, the Photo and Designer .appinfo files I have are dated 2 weeks ago, though I just installed the latest beta versions this morning. That seems odd.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Believe it or not this is by design as we are changing the detection and you will need a new Publisher build for them all to use the same mechanism, sorry for the confusion this causes.

A new Publisher beta is imminent

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

42 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Suggestions on that?

Not sure what to suggest. It worked on my Win 10 system.

Maybe try the new Photo and Designer betas when they become available again after Mark figures out what went wrong that makes them crash instantly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

@Jon P, please investigate the StudioLink problem demonstrated here 

@ErrkaPetti what folders are the programs installed to (please paste the full path into a reply)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hi Errka,

MS Store installs are quite hidden so they won't appear with everything else. I presume you've run both Photo and Designer Betas up without any issues? Also I presume your Windows is setup using a Swedish locale?

Would you be able to load up Publisher and then attempt to access both apps via StudioLink. Once that is done could you attach the Log.txt found inside %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\

As well as that can you export the following key from the Windows registry and attach that please? 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Serif\

Thanks!

• Staff

@ErrkaPetti

Those files were really helpful.

In rewriting the logic we had forgotten the test case when the Publisher beta should have checked for Microsoft store purchases of Designer and Photo as validation of the ADe and APh betas, sorry and thank you for your patience helping us find this problem. Currently Publisher Windows Beta will only enable the studiolink if a the ADe or APh Beta is found and that beta has a valid licensed Affinity Store version installed.

In future Publisher Windows Beta builds will still require ADe and APh beta builds, but will accept the Affinity Store license OR the Windows Store receipts as validation being a Designer and/or Photo "customer".

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

@ErrkaPetti

Please can you try the latest Affinity Publisher beta for us and report back. Hopefully this has been resolved with no knock on consequences.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.