You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cant seem to track down overflowing text

The only problem I've come across is an overflowing text alert which gives no indication of where the overflow is - so I've rolled over all the text throughout the document twice, but can't seen to track down the offending text frame, so would be grateful if someone could advise if I'm missing something 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

I had that problem once where the overflow was happening in a master page. In my case, I inserted the section name field, and the "<Section Name>" placeholder was longer than the actual name of the section that got inserted in the document, so although there was no overflowed text in the actual document, the error got tripped up on the master page.

Maybe the same is true in your case. It would be nice if there were some quick tool to go to the overset text.

None of the text boxes show an issue? When I made a text box and had text go beyond the box there is a little eye that shows there is an issue. 

This is a case where having preflight like Indesign would help. It lists the problems and with a double click brings you to the problem in your job. 

If you have View > Show Text Flow enabled then each non-selected text frame will have a blue outline around it, and if the frame has a text overflow there will be red dots on the upper-left and lower-right edges, where the triangular link icons would when the frame is selected.

You can look through the document to find the red dots, which can be simplified by zooming out enough that all the pages show in the window at the same time.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'd like to raise this up strongly as a feature request. Having gone through a large document several times prior to exporting to PDF, I continue to see the dreaded warning that there are text overflows that need to be fixed. In my case, going through my document takes about 15 minutes - using Walt's suggestion to zoom out and look for red dots. But, as the document is a work in progress, the overflow pops up seemingly from nowhere. So there are two things to consider. The last time I saved the document after fixing all of the text overflows, one overflow appeared when I opened the document later on. What seems to be going on is that text frames with "tight" insets that look okay upon saving, shrink a tiny bit and then cause an overflow again as the text wraps around to another line. I think that needs to be addressed though I don't have an example at the moment; but I have seen this happen enough times to realize that some text frames are actually making minuscule size changes when the document is opened after saving. Example: I went through and found one overflow. Fixed that and saved and closed. Then opened the document again and voila! I have another overflow in a different frame.

The second part of this feature request and apparent bug report is to make overflow text searchable (maybe through a "find" dialogue?) so that the time to fix can be minimized and make the experience more enjoyable.