tariq

poor performance with Wacom and QuickTime Recorder

Hi

I've used Affinity Photo and Designer for over 2 years now. I regularly use the Quicktime scene recorder to make videos.

Performance of the Wacom Tablet has never been amazing - high latency and low sampling rate - which makes the drawing experience less realistic. But it was tolerable.

However - since Affinity went to v 1.7 performance has really dropped. It may have nothing to do with Affinity but I think it does. I've kept the OS updated at all times and no update has really caused a major performance drop elsewhere. I've kept up to date with Wacom drivers too. I get my Affinity from the Apple Store and update whenever it notifies me.

Here's a recent video of poor performance and the Wacom diagnostics running:

Here is a slightly older video taken a few months ago:

Has anyone else had similar problems? I'm using a MacBook Pro 15" 2015 16G RAM and i7 processor .. so not a slow machine. 

The Wacom tablet is the Intuos Pen Small model number CTL-480. We also have a bigger Intuos Pro and that also has the same issues but not with other software.

I have noticed the problem is much worse when scree recording than not - but this was not a problem before.

I appreciate this is a more complex bug where the cause could be in either one of, or a combination of - Affinity, Wacom, QuickTime screen recording.

I raised it here because I didn't have the issue with pre-1.7 Affinity software - which I agree isn't conclusive proof but a strong indicator.

Hi @tariq,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

I could not replicate this here - I tested in on a Wacom pth-451 as we don't have CTL-480 here. No delay using quicktime of the build-in cmd+shift+5 screen recording. 

Just out of interest. Have you got Hardware acceleration - Metal enabled in Photo's Preferences > Performance? 

Thanks,

Gabe.

latest information:

• Wacom updated driver is now 6.3.36-2 
  • Affinity Photo is now 1.7.2
  • MacOS is current with all latest updates installed

I've observed the problem even without QuickTime screen recording .

I noticed the fan on my 4-core i7 2015 MacBook Pro 15" goes crazy too.

Attached is a simple brush making marks using the tablet - and the CPU consumption by Affinity Photo is huge! There is no quicktime or any other screen recording process running.

Screenshot 2019-08-18 at 12.34.33.png

The file I use is attached. The canvas is 3840x 2160.

Separately, the display screen is set to "1920x1080" which is the "default for display" in the Preferences>Displays control panel. I actually set it to this, lower than the usual 4k resolution, when doing screen recordings. When I'm working normally I'm at 4k.

Just to add the before 1.7.2 there were issues, but subjectively they seem to be worse with 1.7.2. 

In case someone is wondering why the image size does't match the 1080p screen resolution - it's an artefact of the way MacOS scaling works as I understand it ... 

graph_start.afphoto

OK I downloaded your file and ran it in Photo 1.7.1 using a Intuos Pro Medium (driver 6.3.35-2)  in bluetooth mode. Painting with brush is fluid. Max CPU usage Photo reaches is around 63% if I scribble really quick and messy. Will download 1.7.2 soon and test. I'm 2017 rMBP running Mojave. Default res. Photo HW acceleration on.

Cheers.

I tried your file. Same experience as before. There's nothing special about your file that would make it slow. Can you please try to do the same scenario on a guest account on your mac? I believe it's down to something else (app perhaps) that's interfering with Photo. We've not had any other reports of this so it must be something local on your mac.