You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Point Transform Tool - duplicate + mirror

30 minutes ago, Murfee said:

That turns things upside down

As shown in my video clip, the duplicate of the original (left-hand) curve was upside down when flipped horizontally, and reversing the curve turned it the right way up.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

As shown in my video clip, the duplicate of the original (left-hand) curve was upside down when flipped horizontally, and reversing the curve turned it the right way up.

Yes but the text is facing the same way as the original, I can get it to do that but I am trying to achieve a true mirror. I can do this with shapes but it will not work with the Vector Brush

1 minute ago, PixelPest said:

We want the brush content mirrored. 

1 minute ago, Murfee said:

Yes but the text is facing the same way as the original, I can get it to do that but I am trying to achieve a true mirror. I can do this with shapes but it will not work with the Vector Brush

duh.gif

Sorry to have been so slow on the uptake! I agree that there doesn’t seem to be any way to achieve that without a mirrored version of the brush image.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

duh.gif

Sorry to have been so slow on the uptake! I agree that there doesn’t seem to be any way to achieve that without a mirrored version of the brush image.

No worries, it is just a bit frustrating...my workaround until a true mirror function is added, is to mirror the curve then use a different brush that faces the opposite direction :)

I like what they're doing with the 3 products, but aside from the isometric functionality, which I hate in Illustrator, I realize it will be quite a while before I can dump Illustrator - in this case the Illustrator Reflect tool just gets it done with no dragging, transforming, flipping and whatever else needs to be done. Just way too much to do so little IMO.

illustrator-reflect-tool.png

4 hours ago, thomaso said:
5 hours ago, R C-R said:

Note that since the advent of the Point Transform Tool, the point is now called the "Transform Origin," not the rotation point.

Thank you. Hm, this more general name makes me even expect more to become respected and used when flipping an object. Whereas the cat sample does not confuse me at all, since the point must have been moved by the user to this position in purpose, so I assume the (same) user would be aware of it (– btw: is there a way to click-reset that point to the object center?)

Additionally I am confused why a 3x3 square selection in transform panel is neither respected/used for rotation nor for flipping but simply ignored.

1191554493_transformorigin3x3.jpg.c46213eed073db66a1fd05e95d6890a7.jpg – Do I still misuse something here?

At least to me, the name change emphasizes that it is the origin of all transforms, not just rotations. It has always been an alternative to using the anchor points in the Transform panel as the transform origin, so I am not sure what you mean about it being ignored. Just like before, if you offset the origin from the center of the object & flip it, the origin offset flips along with the object.

To reset the origin, just as before either click on the center anchor in the Transform panel to toggle back to using that anchor as the origin, or with the Move Tool active double-click on the origin symbol on the canvas.

None of this has changed with the advent of the Point Transform Tool.

What is new is when the Point Transform Tool is active, the Transform panel changes to enable numerical adjustments of the X & Y offsets, the scale, & the rotation. In the current implementation, it works a bit strangely: you have to enter the values & then press tab or return for them to take affect, which resets the values to the defaults again:

2125968564_Xformpanelforpointtransforms.jpg.072212a3c61c30ec89e222a7113f72ee.jpg

If you don't press tab or return, the new values are ignored.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

It has always been an alternative to using the anchor points in the Transform panel as the transform origin, so I am not sure what you mean about it being ignored.

Being ignored means that any rotation with mouse, and flipping, too, always uses the objects center, regardless which one of the 9 anchor points is selected.
I just noticed they are used for rotations (or scaling e.g.) done via transform panel. <–> So, are these anchor points meant to work only within transform panel, "by Design" so to say?

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

To reset the origin, just as before either click on the center anchor in the Transform panel to toggle back to using that anchor as the origin, or with the Move Tool active double-click on the origin symbol on the canvas.

Thank you for the double-click on offset symbol hint. The other option (click an anchor point in transform panel) just overrides a manually moved "Transform origin" and makes it invisble but dos not move it back to the center. That might be important, if one has moved the symbol one day, then forgotten and now wants to get it back in the center – in this case (like with your cat example) it can become hard to discover the position of the symbol to reset it.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Being ignored means that any rotation with mouse, and flipping, too, always uses the objects center, regardless which one of the 9 anchor points is selected.

But it is not ignored when using the Transform panel to rotate an object. As it has been since the now renamed rotation center was first added to the apps, it is an either/or option: If you enable the Transform Origin, the anchor points are ignored for rotation (but still apply to X & Y positions); if you click on an anchor point, the Transform Origin is disabled & rotation done in the Transform Panel rotates around that anchor point.

The anchor point display changes to indicate this:

Origin enabled: 638506264_originenabled.jpg.0fcc250e9d4a7db7f2111936df291c80.jpg

Origin disabled, rotation around center anchor enabled: 585764794_origindisabledcenterrotation.jpg.1471db31e4b41ff54000950d3b2ef730.jpg

Origin disabled, rotation around top left anchor enabled: 1726336648_origindisabledtopleftrotation.jpg.69a4a7af1466094bc4f03bd30ac9cfeb.jpg

In all three examples, the X & Y coordinates are relative to the top left anchor point (indicated by white); if another anchor point is white, the X & Y coordinates would be relative that that anchor point.

The anchor point grid also rotates about its center in realtime when rotation is done on the canvas, & adjusts to the new Cycle Selection Box feature when the selection box is cycled.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you! I guess I got that already, (hoped, to express it in my 2nd sentence), I just had been confused that 9 of these 10 dot-settings don't affect a rotation on canvas/with mouse but in transform panel only.

I see the advantage of being able move the origin outside the object – it's necessary to rotate relative to other objects.

But I haven't understood yet for what purpose we have two different and each other excluding interfaces to set the rotation point to an objects corner or in the middle of its edges.
(and why none of both is used for flipping – but that was discussed already above)

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

But I haven't understood yet for what purpose we have two different and each other excluding interfaces to set the rotation point to an objects corner or in the middle of its edges.

The choices are to set the rotation point to either any arbitrary point by using the Transform Origin, or to set it to any of the anchor points defined by the object's selection box (which can now be cycled through up to three different kinds of boxes). For any of these choices, using the "R" field in the Transform panel enables precise numeric rotations, including those using expressions.

So for example, I could rotate my cat by exactly 2.345° around either the Transform Origin or an anchor, or by 1/19 of a circle by entering "360/19" in that field.

Affinity Photo 

On 7/31/2019 at 1:55 AM, R C-R said:

So for example, I could rotate my cat by exactly 2.345° around either the Transform Origin or an anchor, or by 1/19 of a circle by entering "360/19" in that field.

Thank you! – Do I understand right that I can use both, the 3x3 anchor point selection in transform panel AND a manual free placed Transform Origin as rotation point for rotations defined in the transform panel only – whereas I never can use the 3x3 rotation point setting for a manual rotation with mouse on canvas, but then need to 1) activate the Transform Origin visibility in tool bar and 2) move the point to the wanted anchor point on the object edge manually to make it work like an according single click in the 3x3 field could do. – Correct?

If yes, is there any purpose and/or advantage in workflow for this exclusion in one direction when using the 3x3 option field? Or could it be useful to post a feature request for the 3x3 field (how is it named correctly?) to work for both, numerical & manual rotations ? (– and possibly for flippings, too)

[ Sorry for my intense questioning; I just really don't understand why the 3x3 is limited to work in transform panel whereas it seems obvious to me it should affect manual rotations, too – so I try to exclude simply not to see the advantage yet. ]

p.s.: how is the 3x3 options field called in Affinity?

The Transform Panel help topic (U.S. English, Mac) refers to the grid as containing anchor points, so that is what I call them.

As I have said, the anchor points are an alternative to using a custom transform origin as the reference for rotation, shear, etc. The anchor points are defined by the selected object's selection box, which can be cycled among "regular," "base," & "planar" boxes (refer to the "Cycle Selection Box" entry in  the Move Tool help topic for more about that). So in a sense sometimes there are many more than 9 anchor points available, plus one user adjustable one.

The important thing here is that whatever the selected anchor (point or origin), the six numeric fields in the Transform panel (width, height, x position, y position, rotation, & shear) are displayed relative to that anchor & adjustments made in those fields are likewise relative to that anchor. This makes the Transform panel ideal for using precise numeric values & expressions, which obviously cannot be done using the mouse on the canvas.

On the canvas, everything is still done relative to the selected selection box control handles or the transform origin if it is enabled, although there can be other options, which the Status bar will show when hovering the pointer over a control handle.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 year later...
On 7/30/2019 at 4:08 PM, Dr. Dave said:

I like what they're doing with the 3 products, but aside from the isometric functionality, which I hate in Illustrator, I realize it will be quite a while before I can dump Illustrator - in this case the Illustrator Reflect tool just gets it done with no dragging, transforming, flipping and whatever else needs to be done. Just way too much to do so little IMO.

illustrator-reflect-tool.png

Yes, that what computeres are really supposed to do; do the trivial stuff for us and make creative work... easier.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

To me it still appears rather as a bug than a feature (or missing feature) how flipping currently works, regardless of its origin position.

It just feels wrong that a custom set transform origin doesn't affect the Toolbar Buttons for flipping or for rotating, while it, at least, does affect rotation with the cursor. An accordingly flipping with cursor is hardly possible but even then it moves its origin, and behaves different to a rotation with cursor this way. – For what goal?

Vice versa a transformation point set in the Transform Panel does not affect rotation with the cursor but numerical rotation only. Also this makes me wonder why, for what purpose, with what advantage? – So, there are two options to set a position of the transformation point, and both don't seem to work properly, as if coding wasn't finished. The way the three available tools (Toolbar Button, Transform Panel, and Cursor) + the two available origin point transform interfaces (Context Toolbar, Transformation Panel) do work and are related to each other simply occurs to be weirdly mixed, at least confusing.

It's in particular those inconsistencies which make me suppose an error in the concept, regardless of being coded like that "by design".

• 5 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 10:37 AM, thomaso said:

It just feels wrong that a custom set transform origin doesn't affect the Toolbar Buttons for flipping or for rotating, while it, at least, does affect rotation with the cursor. An accordingly flipping with cursor is hardly possible but even then it moves its origin, and behaves different to a rotation with cursor this way. – For what goal?

It makes absolutely no sense that the origin point does not work with all transformations, rotations and flipping. It's extremely puzzling how this has been left this way for so long. It's basic things like this that really set AF back.

• 1 year later...