You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Point Transform Tool - duplicate + mirror

I'm trying to duplicate and mirror an object. I found the point transform tool, which only seems to rotate and duplicate, but not mirror. In this illustration, the 'mirror' gets to the other side, but upside down and below where I want it.

Any help is appreciated.

point-transform-tool-designer.png

17 minutes ago, Dr. Dave said:

In this illustration, the 'mirror' gets to the other side, but upside down and below where I want it.

Having got it to that position, is there any reason why you can’t simply flip it vertically and then align it (again, vertically) to the top of the original ‘mirror’? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yup, in the meantime I did something like that, but WOW it was more work than I anticipated - initially thought I was using the wrong tool.

I'm coming from Illustrator where it is a simple process with the rotate command, pick the origin point + CTRL (to duplicate) + SHIFT, (to constrain to angles) done.

Hopefully Designer gets there soon.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

is there any reason why you can’t simply flip it vertically and then align it (again, vertically) to the top of the original ‘mirror’? :/

I wonder why it is not even easier + possible, to flip horizontally with the rotation point as flipping distance (axis)?

Situation before flip:
341457014_fliphorrotpoint1.jpg.d29606702d7edc5ab712c15c82cdee6b.jpg

I would expect a horizontal flip would mirror the trapezopid to the left side of the rectangle. – But instead I get this:

881281163_fliphorrotpoint2.jpg.69d3d1e5ef2d3a048d6cac4532dc4da7.jpg

The rotation point is flipping with the object around the object center. – Why?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Yes - drag the transform thingy to the mirror axis - cmd+J - flip horizontally - move over till transform point meet mirror plane - no big deal.

I wonder why not at least the 9-point-set at the transform panel have any effect either.

17 hours ago, PixelPest said:

While you need to constraint the anchor point horizontally to the guide snapping with shift key - still hold shift key down - then transform.

Like this:

Car Ft View.afdesign (with history)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Yes - drag the transform thingy to the mirror axis - cmd+J - flip horizontally - move over till transform point meet mirror plane - no big deal

I can get this to work fine on curves that I have drawn, I am trying to do something using the vector brush, whatever I try and however I flip or reverse the curve it will not work. The curve path mirrors but the brush doesn't. I have attached the result below, I want a mirror of the curve on the left...I end up with upside down bees :4_joy: ...the only way I can get around this is to create a new brush with the bee facing the other way :) Do you know a way to make this work as I need to do this sort of thing quite often.

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 10.27.14.png

There is a flipping workaround that I saw the voodoo priest of workarounds @JimmyJack use... see the voodoo below.

Flipping-trick.gif

basically you make the duplicate a child of whatever you wish to flip around and then remove it.

If the flipping object is asymmetrical once you have removed the flipped piggybacker you can flip the flipper back. :D I'm sure there's a tongue twister there somewhere. 

Ps. I'm patenting the wing mirror design and will be used ostensibly for knocking bikers and pedestrians flying, creating drag to make you use more fuel (I have shares in the oil companies) and allow pretty ladies to stand by my car and apply make-up. :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

17 hours ago, thomaso said:

The rotation point is flipping with the object around the object center. – Why?

Note that since the advent of the Point Transform Tool, the point is now called the "Transform Origin," not the rotation point.

Anyway, I think the reason for this is the origin could be set to any location, including one very far off the canvas like in this flip the cat.afdesign example. Image what would happen if it worked like you expected -- flipping the cat horizontally would place it twice as far off the canvas as its original location.

That probably isn't what one would want normally, but more to the point I'm not sure how it would work when using the method @PixelPest mentioned to snap the object across the mirror axis.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Ignore the flipping - and let go when size is right - the hit "Flip Vertical" - done.

Its not really working, they end up facing the same way...I need them facing the opposite way and the right way up :) A true mirror Image doesn't seem possible when using the Vector Brush :(

4 minutes ago, Murfee said:

Its not really working, they end up facing the same way...I need them facing the opposite way and the right way up :) A true mirror Image doesn't seem possible when using the Vector Brush :(

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just duplicate the brush layer, use the Point Transform Tool as in this post by @PixelPest (& as shown in my movie) to move (not rotate) that layer to the mirrored position? Then just use Flip Horizontal to make them face the other way.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just duplicate the brush layer, use the Point Transform Tool as in this post by @PixelPest (& as shown in my movie) to move (not rotate) that layer to the mirrored position? Then just use Flip Horizontal to make them face the other way.

I have done all of that, they always end up facing the wrong way or upside down, have you tried it with a vector image brush that has an obvious top and direction ?

39 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Note that since the advent of the Point Transform Tool, the point is now called the "Transform Origin," not the rotation point.

Thank you. Hm, this more general name makes me even expect more to become respected and used when flipping an object. Whereas the cat sample does not confuse me at all, since the point must have been moved by the user to this position in purpose, so I assume the (same) user would be aware of it (– btw: is there a way to click-reset that point to the object center?)

Additionally I am confused why a 3x3 square selection in transform panel is neither respected/used for rotation nor for flipping but simply ignored.

1191554493_transformorigin3x3.jpg.c46213eed073db66a1fd05e95d6890a7.jpg – Do I still misuse something here?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1