You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Version 1.7.1 very slow at selecting large number of objects

Anon

Hello:

Since upgrading to version 1.7.1 from version 1.6.1, Affinity Designer is now very slow at selecting a large number of objects with the Move Tool. AD is now so slow at this (it can take minutes) that I can no longer work with many of my files. With version 1.6.1, I could select thousands of objects and it took only a few seconds at most before I could edit/move.

I have attached screen recordings that compares version 1.6.1 to 1.7.1 at selecting about 5700 objects from a test file (also attached) using the Move Tool. In version 1.6.1, it takes about 4 seconds to select all 5700 objects. This can be seen starting from when the Move Tools is dragged from the upper left to the bottom right until all objects are selected and ready to move/edit (time stamp 0:15 to 0:19). In version 1.7.1, the same task takes about 22 seconds (time stamp 0:17 to 0:39). Although not shown, version 1.6.1 also takes about 3-4 seconds to select 20,000 objects. In contrast, going up to 20,000 objects now takes version 1.7.1 over 100 seconds.

I have a late 2014 Retina 5K 27-inch iMac running MacOS Majave 10.14.5 with 32 GB RAM and AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 GB graphics card. I have tried disabling Metal compute acceleration but this does not help. The same problem exists on my 2017 MacBook Pro.

Thanks a lot for the help in trying to solve this issue.

Designer test file.pdf