You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush flow rate affected by canvas zoom

I'm an art streamer on Twitch who's spent the past 12 months using Affinity Photo for my digital art. In any software I use, whenever I encounter a bug on stream I ask my moderators to "clip it" as I demonstrate the steps to reproduce the bug. Here's a clip where the flow rate of the watercolour brush is affected by zooming on the canvas. In the brush settings don't reflect any change. I've mentioned a workaround at the end of this clip.

A summary of what's happening in the clip -  I'm using one of the watercolour brushes whose default Flow Rate is 5%, though I've increased that to 20% for a harder edge. It appears that after zooming, the bug may be reverting the brush to its default flow rate. If I deliberately resize the brush (I use Alt + middlemouse + drag to resize brush), my custom brush setting returns.

Windows 10 - i9-7900X @ 3.30GHz 3.31GHz - RAM 32GB - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (x2) - Wacom Intuos Pro 4

Cheers!

• Staff

Hey bitey,

It looks like you may have a brush that is using 'Set wet edges on' in the Brush Editor. This means that if Wet edges is disabled on the context toolbar, applying this setting will turn it on. However because we have now turned Wet Edges on (on the context toolbar) I would expect it to stay on when switching to another tool (such as the Zoom Tool) and back to the same brush.

However, if you set it to 'Don't set wet edges' it cannot control what the context toolbar does. So if you then enable it on the context toolbar, Wet Edges will stay on—even after changing tools. So we're essentially telling that setting to never change what is on the context toolbar and it will leave it up to you to manually set Wet Edges on the context toolbar.