You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm just passing through.
I completed Affinity series on sale and bought some assets, so let me give my opinion as a Japanese person.

I'm a bilingual English/Japanese, and if the Affinity series supports vertical writing, we will be free from Adobe, which we don't even want to use.

A lot of Japanese people around me have bought Affinity series.
We are eagerly waiting for the development of vertical writing to be given a higher priority, so please consider it.

We have not forgotten this.
https://twitter.com/affinitybyserif/status/1164489719549501440
Someday, we will come to appreciate Affinity.
Not as a minor software, but as the next generation of software.

https://i.imgur.com/sLzVIZV.png

Kind Regards
rakineko

• 1 year later...

A voice from 2022:

Vertical text needed!

I've bought all serif apps and am happy with Photo and Designer. As to Publisher, in the beginning I had a feeling that the workflow was not as intuitive as InDesign. Well, that might be the unfamiliarities, after all I had worked with InDesign for years, but Publisher was new. Until recently, I need to work with Chinese/Japanese characters in traditional style, it surprised me that Publisher doesn't support the vertical writing at all (though ok, sure, can be reached in a tedious way... ) 

Could you please put this feature on agenda?

Thank you for the good work anyway.

• 1 year later...

The following interview in Japanese mentions Affinity's plans to include vertical text.
Ashley, CEO of Serif, stated the following.

Interviewer: "Vertical writing" is almost a requirement for DTP in Asian countries, but "Affinity" does not currently support it. I think there will be a big response, especially if "Affinity Publisher" supports vertical writing.

Ashley:We are aware of the need for vertical writing support, and we are already working on improving it. To be honest, the current rapid growth of the Japanese market is unexpected and surprising to us. We are currently developing our text engine to support vertical writing and "ruby".

The original Japanese text is as follows:

インタビュアー: アジア圏のDTPでは「縦書き」がほぼ必須ですが、現在「Affinity」は対応していません。特に『Affinity Publisher』が縦書きに対応すれば大きな反響があるかと思いますが、将来的に対応する予定はありますか?

Ashley:我々も「縦書き」への対応が必要だと認識しており、すでに改善のために開発を進めています。正直に申し上げると、現在の日本市場の急成長は我々にとっても予想外のことで、とても驚いています。縦書きや「ルビ」などをサポートできるよう、現在テキストエンジンの開発を進めています。

Serif社CEO・Ashley Hewson氏インタビュー|Real Sound|リアルサウンド テック (Interview with Ashley Hewson, CEO of Serif, Inc.)