You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - trouble scaling text in text frame.

I am very new to this, having previously used Microsoft Office Publisher to desk-top edit our parish magazine - and now switched to Affinity Publisher.  I know that I should be able to get the text and frame to scale together if I use the outlying handle on the bottom right corner, but it does not seem to work - text overflows (see image).  Could it be something to do with the formatting of the text?  Surely it should work whatever the format?  I can start with all text inside the box, but when I try to scale it using the "spare" handle, it just doesn't work as I've seen it do in the tutorial.  Any suggestions please??

Untitled.png.e3896a2ed08506fe8d76aeacf4dd2b5d.png

Welcome to the forum.

Try clicking on the red eye icon to the bottom-right of the text frame (see attached GIF).
Does this make it do what you want?
If not, if you attach a file that displays the problem or a video showing what you would expect from MS Publisher (or both) then it will probably be easier to figure out what’s happening.

It could have something to do with the formatting of the text. You might ensure that you have enabled, from the menu, Text > Show Special Characters.

But a more likely scenario may be this: Was that red eye showing before you started trying to scale? If so, you first need to enlarge the frame to enclose all the text by using the handles that are on the frame.. Then you can scale the frame and the enclosed text together using the outer handle.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, MEB said:

walt.farrell
The text should scale up/down no matter if it's all enclosed in the text frame or not. Is this failing on Windows?

No, it's doing that. My point, which could have been expressed more clearly, was that if PurpleH was expecting that scaling to include more of the text within the frame, it wouldn't.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Scaling the text frame might change the amount of text in the frame if the baseline grid was being used. Making the text larger or smaller would mean that fewer or more baselines were needed and the text would have to move in or out of the way. (See attached GIFs, one with filler text, the other with normal text.)

rescale-with-baseline.gif

rescale-with-baseline2.gif

Edited by GarryP

9 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi PurpleH,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind attaching the file with that text frame please (you can delete all the rest)? Thanks.

walt.farrell
The text should scale up/down no matter if it's all enclosed in the text frame or not. Is this failing on Windows?

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Walt - the text was all inside when I started, it was when I tried to scale down that it popped outside.  But thanks for telling me how to make special characters visible, I was trying to find that ;)

MEB - I'm attaching a copy of the file, with most of the pages removed.  I wonder if it is a baseline issue as GarryP suggested? but I was not aware I had any baselines!  Yes I am using Windows 10.  In MS Publisher scaling is not an option, so I was quite excited to learn it would be possible in Affinity, so I was disappointed not to be able to make it work!  In the file attached, the scaling does not work whether you decrease or even increase the text frame size.  The text seems to increase or decrease in jumps.

Cheers, Helen.

Test_file.afpub

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 3:24 PM, GarryP said:

Scaling the text frame might change the amount of text in the frame if the baseline grid was being used. Making the text larger or smaller would mean that fewer or more baselines were needed and the text would have to move in or out of the way. 

Thanks GarryP - you were absolutely right.  I haven't heard back from MEB despite posting the file he asked for, but I have managed to discover that, unknowingly, I did have baseline grid selected, but invisibly, and having removed it all is well!  Thanks for your help.

Helen