You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Running Affinity on Linux (Finally works)

For those who got it working, do drawing tablets work with sensitivity? I'm assuming they don't but I just needed to ask since Affinity is the only reason I'm not migrating to GNU/Linux.

2 hours ago, Psych said:

For those who got it working,

Has anyone gotten it working?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Has anyone gotten it working?

depends on the definition of working, but the OP of this topic did get it to a state where they could create a new document and work on it. Doesn't mean it's in a fully working state, but it's still in a state where you might be able to test pressure sensitivity.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

Really fell like the title of this thread is misleading inasmuch as a number of people have commented they thought 'working' meant 'functional'. Some statement in the first post that this is experimental and not ready for production might ameliorate the hyperbolic initial presentation

On 5/11/2020 at 1:18 PM, hazlema said:

I finally got it working,  I used this page to install .NET in a 64 bit environment.

Even though Affinity Designer displays it is unusable, it is not stable and crashes and the display glitches out. 

Guess i'll just need to keep my windows box a bit longer.

How to get 64 bit NET to install under wine:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/783211/cant-install-dotnet45-with-winetricks-on-ubuntu-14-04

Nice contribtion. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to run AP in linux for a long time. (I use Manjaro)

I managed to install 1.8.3 version but...

I wanted to create separate wine prefix for affinity to have possibility to install next version without damaging current one.

I used command:

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 winetricks remove_mono dotnet35sp1 dotnet472

It will remove mono if it is installed and install every version between 35sp1 and 472

During the installation there were many freezes. Mostly during dotnet above 35sp1

After many attempts I've found the solution.

I opened another terminal instance and did:

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 wineserver -k

Then on first terminal instance I repeated the command to install dotnet. .Net installer gave me a possibility to repair broken net version.

To install Affinity I have to do

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 winetricks win7

- I can't install AP when it is set to win81

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 wine <path to ap installer>
WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 winetricks win81

I didn't try to create shortcuts but with installation like above it is possible to run AP with:

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 wine <path to Photo.exe>

And now.

I can run AP but it crashes when I try to open images. It freezes when I try to create one.

To install dxvk I decided to go with AUR package dxvk-bin.

To install it on arch based distro you can do

yay -S dxvk-bin

Then do install it inside wineprefix:

WINEPREFIX=~/wine/AP183 setup_dxvk install --symlink

--symlink option is because when you update your dxvk-package then it will be updated in wineprefix

With dxvk I have black screen on Affinity Photo. When I move mouse I can see menu or something but it is unusable.

Can you tell me if version from first post is the last that can be used in linux? is it 1.6.5?

On lutris page it seems that I could run 1.7.3 version. I would like to test it. From where can I download it?

2 hours ago, 860lacov said:

On lutris page it seems that I could run 1.7.3 version. I would like to test it. From where can I download it?

https://affinity.store/update/windows/photo/1

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ok.

I checked AP 1.7.3 and 1.8.3

In both cases before dxvk install I can run AP. I can go to menu, change settings etc. When I try to open image AP crashes.

After dxvk installation I can open AP but the window is black. When I move mouse sometimes I can see AP interface elements. When I move the AP window sometimes I can see whole AP interface but that's all I managed to achieve. What else I could do?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ima just going to throw this in here as it seems on topic and may (when it is set up with Affinity) provide a more straightforward route to a similar result. And given the progress (or lack of) here, this may fill a gap for some people (in the not too distant perhaps)_.

Note I am not the dev and have no affiliation with the app or its development.

• 2 months later...

How to go around the error message I keep getting in the process?

wine: '/home/liza/.wine' is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver.
warning: wine cmd.exe /c echo '%AppData%' returned empty string, error message "wine: '/home/liza/.wine' is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver." 

Thanks,

Liza

48 minutes ago, AnaLiza said:

How to go around the error message I keep getting in the process?

wine: '/home/liza/.wine' is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver.

warning: wine cmd.exe /c echo '%AppData%' returned empty string, error message "wine: '/home/liza/.wine' is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver." 

Thanks,

Liza

Liza, have you read the whole thread here?

The title of the OP is not accurate, and no one seems to have been able to reliably get affinity apps to work in linux using the methods here.

Just checking that you are aware before troubleshooting this issue, which seems to have a number of possible causes.

Apologies for the stupidly large lettering. Am placing this here in the hope it might save others the trouble. ;/

1 minute ago, wscrcom said:

Liza, have you read the whole thread here?

The title of the OP is not accurate, and no one seems to have been able to reliably get affinity apps to work in linux.

Just checking that you are aware before troubleshooting this issue, which seems to have a number of possible causes.

Thanks wscrcom, I can see that now... a bit misleading.

I have the whole set of the affinity products bought and waiting for a solution how to get them running on mint (one day soon, I hope!) 

10 minutes ago, AnaLiza said:

Thanks wscrcom, I can see that now... a bit misleading.

I have the whole set of the affinity products bought and waiting for a solution how to get them running on mint (one day soon, I hope!) 

VM is your best bet. And easy to do ;)