You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Positioning multiple objects around an anchor point without changing size

Hi, this might be a silly question but I was wondering if there was a way to position a group of objects closer or further away from a central anchor point without changing the size like you would by holding ⌘ and scaling from the center except without actually changing the scale. For the image below, I would like to move all the inner spokes of the wheel inwards without changing their size. I realize I can do this manually one by one but is there a way to do them all at once?

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 4.34.31 pm.png

Yes there is a way with the Constraints Panel.

1. Open Constraints Panel (View > Studio > Constraints)
  2. With the constraints panel showing (active) select the inner spokes group and make another group, what we have done is make a constraints group. 
  3. Now select all of the individual spokes and set the constraints panel to...
    Screen-Shot-2019-07-28-at-08-21-43.png
    This tells constraints not to scale the curves

4. Now set your Inner spokes group to...
    Screen-Shot-2019-07-28-at-08-22-50.png
    This tells constraints it can move the curves within the bounds of the inner spokes group, if you try to scale from here the group bounds will not change and cut off the curve shapes, this is why we need to make a group within a group. 

5. And set the constraints group to...
    Screen-Shot-2019-07-28-at-08-23-05.png
    This scales the inner spokes group and allows the curves to expand with the inner spokes curves bounds. 

6. Now scale the indicated constraints group and your spokes should move but not be resized. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions