You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question about the quality of a photo after i tap develop

My sincerest apologies if this has been addressed before however I couldn't word my search string brief enough to find anything...

Here goes:

When I import my RAW photo into affinity photo iPad and make whatever corrections I want when I tap "develop" does affinity compress the RAW file into a jpg or something. For example after I tap develop and start applying filters, adjustment layers and so on is does that image still contain all the RAW data until I export the finished photo? 

Se

I’m unsure of exactly what you mean. However, the raw photo is developed with all the adjustments you made in the Develop persona. The image will look visually exactly as it did when you were satisfied with those adjustments. Now in the Photo persona you have a 16-bit image to work with, so you have a wide range of adjustments you can make to the image.

Only the RAW file holds all of the RAW data, once you have developed (some people say cooked) the photo is no longer RAW. Develop is like cooking a steak, you can’t reverse it to get back to the raw steak.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Thank you that’s exactly what I was wondering :4_joy:. I have noticed that once I do tap  developed my picture is still 20MG. Not as much as the raw though.  Why does the Photoshop or affinity photo make it so you can edit raw files with filters and stuff I’m sure they could do itT

On 7/31/2019 at 3:25 PM, Paul Mudditt said:

Only the RAW file holds all of the RAW data, once you have developed (some people say cooked) the photo is no longer RAW. Develop is like cooking a steak, you can’t reverse it to get back to the raw steak.

Thank you that’s exactly what I was wondering :4_joy:. I have noticed that once I do tap  developed my picture is still 20MG. Not as much as the raw though.  Why does the Photoshop or affinity photo make it so you can edit raw files with filters and stuff I’m sure they could do itT

3 hours ago, ClarityDynamic said:

Thank you that’s exactly what I was wondering :4_joy:. I have noticed that once I do tap  developed my picture is still 20MG. Not as much as the raw though.  Why does the Photoshop or affinity photo make it so you can edit raw files with filters and stuff I’m sure they could do itT

•  

The RAW data, is just that, data, its not really a photo yet as its hasn’t been developed. Once developed you can manipulate it as a photo. Each RAW file is in a proprietary format that programs can read the data from but generally only the OEM can create the original file. Hence more RAW file formats in the world than the “standard” photo formats like JPG,TIFF etc. Writing and much more importantly, testing complex photo manipulation software like AP, PS etc tends to stick to an output format in one of the few standardised file formats otherwise the effort involved in testing would be restrictive.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 2 weeks later...

My RAW files are .ARW from a Sony mirrorless, another question is, for example when dealing with the RAW image when I adjust brightness lets say, I am dealing with all of the image data, when I develop the image and then modify brightness will I lose some of the quality or function I would have otherwise had if I was still dealing with the RAW image and adjusting brightness as a RAW operation?

Another example, white balance.  If I don't get the correct look while editing the RAW file I know I can adjust white balance using an adjustment later or filter but do I lose any functionality or quality since I'm no longer dealing with a RAW file?  It's probably not noticeable if there is, correct?  I sometimes after I have already been editing a photo will decide to change the white balance for a different effect 

wait nevermind, affinity photo opens DNG in raw mode, so if I want to use adobe camera raw to process my RAW images but affinity photo to edit what format should I save in adobe camera raw, or should I just stop using camera RAW?  the only reason I do is more edit features it seems like anyway