You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can you make Save History a preference so I don't have to activate it each time I open a new document.  Can you also add the option of exporting the history file as part of the metadata or a side file when saving an image as a jpg or tif;   this is extremely important for those of us using your software for forensic work.  Photoshop is loosing favor with many of us in the profession and your software is filling that gap.  Also kudos on the FFT noise removal it does a great job.  Thank you for your consideration.

14 hours ago, Jbrunetti said:

Can you make Save History a preference so I don't have to activate it each time I open a new document.  Can you also add the option of exporting the history file as part of the metadata or a side file when saving an image as a jpg or tif;   this is extremely important for those of us using your software for forensic work.  Photoshop is loosing favor with many of us in the profession and your software is filling that gap.  Also kudos on the FFT noise removal it does a great job.  Thank you for your consideration.

You can save a current history  gradient in its own color palette.
It is best to create a new palette (panel menu of the panel "Color fields" -> "Add document palette"). Then click on the button "Add current filling to palette".

A "Document palette" is saved with the document as opposed to a "Program palette".
By the way, color palettes can also be imported and exported to exchange them.

4 hours ago, Michail said:

You can save a current history in its own color palette.

Sorry, Michail, but I fail to understand the relation between History (which records all changes to a file) and the color palette, which records the current colors in the file. They seem entirely different to me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@Jbrunetti: I'm curious how one uses a Photo editing program to do forensic work. Can you provide some examples? It's not something I've ever heard of.

Thanks!

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt...There was a book published years ago called “Photoshop CS3 for Forensic Professionals” it describes how various filters and workflows can be used for forensic work.  

For example focus stacking is useful in situations where limited depth of field issues arise such as a fingerprint on a highly curved surface.

Quite often forensic technicians receive photos of evidence which they didn’t take and subtle details need to be revealed...this is where levels and curves comes in handy.

Some fingerprint development techniques involve specific colors from the reagents...color channel separation and color to grayscale often enhance the result of this type of processing.  These are just a few examples.

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

@Jbrunetti: I'm curious how one uses a Photo editing program to do forensic work. Can you provide some examples? It's not something I've ever heard of.

@Jbrunetti, i recall that many years ago, when digital photography was just coming in, that digital images were not considered as valid evidence for criminal work because of the ease with which they could be manipulated. Clearly this is not the case now. What safeguards are now used to ensure that digital images maintain their forensic validity?

I know that this is off topic, but I thought that forum members would be interested in the answer.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry, Michail, but I fail to understand the relation between History (which records all changes to a file) and the color palette, which records the current colors in the file.

Neither do I :35_thinking:. I am sorry that this word caused confusion. That's because of my sloppy translation. In German, both a temporal and a qualitative transition can be expressed with the same term.

Of course, I meant the colour gradient. I changed it in my post. Thanks for the hint. 9_9

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks!

Take a look here: 4N6site.com

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Some time ago I was faced with the task of making the license plate of a car legible. The car was photographed with too long an exposure time, so that it was totally blurred. I can't find the project right now. That's why I reproduced it again:
image.png.556f7e149bcfa32db9af035189a6c432.png 

5 hours ago, John Rostron said:

@Jbrunetti, i recall that many years ago, when digital photography was just coming in, that digital images were not considered as valid evidence for criminal work because of the ease with which they could be manipulated. Clearly this is not the case now. What safeguards are now used to ensure that digital images maintain their forensic validity?

I know that this is off topic, but I thought that forum members would be interested in the answer.

John

There are two different situations.  1. Preservation from the initial capture device (camera or scanner).   2. Documentation of enhancements.  When dealing with a camera, RAW files serve as a digital negative, but if RAW files were not captured it is important to document that these images have not changed so write protecting and Hashing the files after capture is one way to do this.  When dealing with image enhancements an audit trail (such as a history file) is important.  If you question refers to how to detect image tampering, that is too lengthy of a subject for this forum but a good book on the subject was written by Hany Farid called "Photo Forensics" https://www.amazon.com/Photo-Forensics-Press-Hany-Farid/dp/0262035340 .  Also there is a good manual on various techniques at http://metainventions.com/products.html .

5 hours ago, Michail said:

Some time ago I was faced with the task of making the license plate of a car legible. The car was photographed with too long an exposure time, so that it was totally blurred. I can't find the project right now. That's why I reproduced it again:
image.png.556f7e149bcfa32db9af035189a6c432.png 

I'm interested in knowing how you achieved this result...you did a nice job.  Did you use Affinity Photo to achieve this result?

19 hours ago, Jbrunetti said:

I'm interested in knowing how you achieved this result...you did a nice job.  Did you use Affinity Photo to achieve this result?

In Affinity Photo: I first separated the two maxima with the relief filter (the high pass filter is also worth a try). The shake angle has to be estimated as accurately as possible.  Then I condensed the tonal values with the help of the tonal value correction.