You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple gradients in one image?

Hi, can you please tell  me if its possible to make more than one selection within a single photo and then add different gradients to each section.  Then can all the selections / gradients be shown in one photo again?  I've tried for hours and I don't have much hair left to pull out.  Big thanks

Selections themself are usually dismissed (Ctl-D/Cmd-D) after usage (by you), since their selection state otherwise can block further processing of other operations. Different applied gradients are usually accessable through their individual layers in the layers panel, as far as made visable.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Having applied one gradient, group the resultant (single) layer and apply another gradient. Repeat as necessary.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks HDVB, yes but I am trying to make selections from one image and then have different gradients on each selection.  The final image should show are one image with all the grads together but each one editable .  I've seen this done in PS but am trying to use AF to do the job.  Thanks again.

7 minutes ago, It123 said:

Thanks HDVB, yes but I am trying to make selections from one image and then have different gradients on each selection.  The final image should show are one image with all the grads together but each one editable .  I've seen this done in PS but am trying to use AF to do the job.  Thanks again.

Hi It123,

You need a mask for each gradient you want visible, then offer the mask to the thumbnail of the fill layer, the gradients are still editable if you go back to the fill layer and select the gradient tool. A quick sample is attached :)

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 16.00.29.png

I used  one image   (!) + 2  fill layers.
If you select that three layers and then go to Layers > Merge selected, you got one image though ?

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

If you used multiple and layered one on top of the other, you can merge and/or alter their layer blending modes etc., in order to let them act together on an image.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2