You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Elliptical Marquee Tool not working

When I draw an elliptical marquee in Affinity photo, the outline of the selection appears just as it should but when I release the left mouse button, the outline disappears.  If I draw a huge ellipse, then a much smaller ellipse is sometimes outlined when I release the mouse button.

Using the rectangle select tool works normally.

However, the add, subtract, intercept, xor, and divide buttons are inactive and the modes.  Ctrl drag changes the mode to subtract.

I want to report this as a bug but thought I should check here first.

Photo version 1.7.1.404 - Windows 

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

Check the feather  option of your elliptical selection tool, each selection form keep its own value.
With the selection marquee tools, you've got "text button" to choose option ("new, add, subtract, intercept"), near the feather option.

The geometry options (add, subtract, intercept, xor, and divide) aren't used with selections, and are only available with vector shapes created with the rectangle tool, triangle tool, star tool, cat tool, etc.

One can draw a selection on an image layer, but CTRL+J will copy the hole layer.  And ... the options in the Arrange menu are all visible ...

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

25 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

For what reason? Just asking.

To create a mask so that adjustment layers only affect the area needed while keeping the Image layer intact is one reason that I would do that, if I nest the adjustment as a child layer I can resize as needed without losing any of the original image quality. This may be an important factor for anyone doing compositing.

Selection from Image Layer.png

Edit: It is possible to create a pixel layer from the selection by refining, then output as a new layer. The selection brush works on image layers but the flood select tool needs to work on a pixel layer

Edited by Murfee
Added Comment