You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Horrible performance after updating to 1.7 on MacBook Pro

Hi there, after I updated to the latest version I noticed a huge difference in performance. Unfortunately I am using not the latest hardware but I know that 1.6 was running fast as hell. I bought the App in the Mac App Store. Is there a way to go back to 1.6?

these are my spec:

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

for me the much better performance was the reason number one to change from photoshop in the first place. I hope there is a solution for this. 

thanks guys!

• Staff

Hi Zieme666,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately there is no way to go back to 1.6, which app is it that you are using?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hi, are you referring to Affinity Photo? Given your specs, I wonder if the new Metal compute hardware acceleration may be more of a detriment than an improvement. Your GeForce GPU won't be supported, but the Intel HD graphics may well register as compatible—the issue is that the older generation of Intel integrated graphics are quite weak, and the compute performance is likely slower than just using CPU.

If you go to Preferences>Performance and disable Metal compute at the bottom (then restart the app) does performance improve? This should at least return it to 1.6 levels of performance with additional 1.7 optimisation in some key areas. Hope that solves your issue—if not, let us know!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

On 7/29/2019 at 12:12 PM, James Ritson said:

Hi, are you referring to Affinity Photo? Given your specs, I wonder if the new Metal compute hardware acceleration may be more of a detriment than an improvement. Your GeForce GPU won't be supported, but the Intel HD graphics may well register as compatible—the issue is that the older generation of Intel integrated graphics are quite weak, and the compute performance is likely slower than just using CPU.

If you go to Preferences>Performance and disable Metal compute at the bottom (then restart the app) does performance improve? This should at least return it to 1.6 levels of performance with additional 1.7 optimisation in some key areas. Hope that solves your issue—if not, let us know!

Hi James,

running AP 1.7.1.

These preference options about performance are confusing me. I simply do not understand the Metal,  OpenGL and GPU stuff. What are the recommended options for my iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  with 3 GHz Intel Core i5 and Radeon Pro 555 2 GB?

I am asking because I notice, that sometimes the thumbnails of new layers in the layes panel (even a fill layer) are refreshed with serveral seconds delay. Also the histogram in the level adjustment layer gets displays only after seconds of delay. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 5:39 PM, Haffinity said:

Hi James,

running AP 1.7.1.

These preference options about performance are confusing me. I simply do not understand the Metal,  OpenGL and GPU stuff. What are the recommended options for my iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  with 3 GHz Intel Core i5 and Radeon Pro 555 2 GB?

I am asking because I notice, that sometimes the thumbnails of new layers in the layes panel (even a fill layer) are refreshed with serveral seconds delay. Also the histogram in the level adjustment layer gets displays only after seconds of delay. 

Now running AP 1.7.2

The delays which I decribed in July have now disappeared.

I also watched the video tutorial "metal compute", very good. 

Metal compute accelaration is enabled, runs fine!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, 
I have to design something with AD for a long time. 6 Artboards. Each a logo, a world map (dots) and some text. If I move an artboard to another position, everything jolts. snoring slowly. Not to think of, I would have a larger file to edit.

MBPro 10.14.6
NVIDIA GeForce GT750M 2 GB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
RAM 16GB

Open GL + Open GL (easy) - no improvement
Metal - no improvement

Crazy

Die Now Live Later - KMFDM