You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to Save on Mac OS

I'm working on a Mac OS 10.14.5 and using Affinity Photo 1.7. When I go to save this document that I have worked on for hours, I get the message "Save Failed. Access denied." (ACCESS) What the heck is going on.

The only thing new was importing images from "unsplash.com". HELP!

Appreciate any help you can give me.

On 7/26/2019 at 10:53 PM, IronArtist said:

I'm working on a Mac OS 10.14.5 and using Affinity Photo 1.7. When I go to save this document that I have worked on for hours, I get the message "Save Failed. Access denied." (ACCESS) What the heck is going on.

The only thing new was importing images from "unsplash.com". HELP!

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Same issue.  Also have this with export.

The only work around I have found is to save to photos and use the file from there.  

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi IronArtist, Richbroady,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
To where are you saving the file? Are you working on a file stored on a NAS/cloud sync folder?

Saving to the desktop. But did not save the Unsplash Photos first to the desktop computer first. Just brought those photos over to my Affinity Publisher app. Figure that might be the issue. I was working through one of your tutorals that uses Unsplash photos. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Edited by IronArtist

• 1 month later...

8 minutes ago, Narapoia said:

Anyone got any ideas on this?

The suggestions here are less about "it's this problem" and more about gathering info:

Is it trying to overwrite a previous version of the file with the same name and failing to bring up the "replace" flow?

If you "Get Info" (Command-I) on each of the folders in the hierarchy, what do they have for permission on the folder?

If you ARE trying to overwrite a file of the same name, what does "Get Info" show for permissions there?

Are you able to pick a different destination and save it correctly there (the Desktop, for example)?

Do you have iCloud "Desktop and Documents Folders" turned on? You can check this under System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive

Were you ever requested "Affinity Photo wants to access your Photos" and told it no? You can check this under System Preferences > Security &  Privacy > Privacy Tab, Photos (in the sidebar)

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

5 minutes ago, Narapoia said:

Permissions are all Read and Write everywhere. I don't use iCloud for photos, but checked and Desktop and Docs are not checked but all Affinity apps are. Don't recall saying no to an access request, but AP isn't listed in security prefs...

Interesting that APh is not listed under "Photos" for Privacy security. That may only come in if you try to use APh to edit out of Apple's Photos app. At least it's not "listed but not checked".

No smoking guns there, I'm afraid.

What was the result of attempting to save to the Desktop, if I may ask?

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

It was a while back, but I couldn't save anywhere - don't recall if I tried the Desktop.  Been busy being made redundant so haven't had a lot of time for creative stuff...

When I get the opportunity I'll try to replicate it and report back - I think there has been an update since, so maybe it's been fixed?  Pigs/wings/wishful thinking etc...

2 minutes ago, Narapoia said:

It was a while back, but I couldn't save anywhere - don't recall if I tried the Desktop.  Been busy being made redundant so haven't had a lot of time for creative stuff...

When I get the opportunity I'll try to replicate it and report back - I think there has been an update since, so maybe it's been fixed?  Pigs/wings/wishful thinking etc...

Understandable. The reason I was asking (and would be relevant if you encounter it again) would be to attempt to differentiate between a file-system/local-environment-induced error and an app-internal error that may be hiding behind that error message.

If you can't save anywhere, for example, that pretty much rules out a genuine permission error unless the disk is full (and even then, the error message would be misleading). If you could save some places but not others, that tells a different story.

While I was writing this, the idea of the sandboxing comes into mind a little stronger; are you running the app purchased directly from Affinity or via the Mac App Store? I have less experience with the macOS sandboxing side of things but unexpected lack of permissions sure sounds like it could be related.