You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

»Saving As…« inherits suffix from existing file & seemingly corrupts file

Hey guys,

I worked all morning on a file that was based solely visually on a PDF. After one hour I saved the file and worked on it for another 2 hours.
I just wanted to adapt the name of the reference PDF, searched for it in the Save As dialog and selected the file to avoid typing the file
name manually (admittedly, I didn't double check, it was supposed to quickly save the file, but yeah I should've known better).
I closed the document and left for lunch.

When I came back I got an error message trying to open the file because it appeared to be saved in an unknown file format.
Specifically as a file that was edited in Publisher but apparently saved as a PDF – when the file was saved, the suffix was also incorporated!

Why doesn't the user get an error message or at least a warning dialog? How is it even possible that I could continue working for 2 hours
in a seemingly corrupt document and didn't get a single hint of incompatibility due to wrong/double suffixes? Not even when occasionally
quick saving (Ctrl + S)!

Great, now I have to start all over again. This is really heckin annoying, frustrating and time consuming. :40_rage:
There goes my sunny Friday afternoon …

But … luckily I remembered the solution from experience during my "Adobe-era" that by changing the suffix (usually hidden in Windows)
manually you can sometimes get the file back to work. Adobe itself has found a solution: when selecting an existing file, somehow only
the actual file name (everything preceding the .suffix) is inherited.

Nonetheless I think this should be considered a bug!

Cheers
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png