You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP/AD - How would you create a denim look/texture; 2 part question

Part 1 - I would like to know some ideas on how to go about creating a realistic denim look/texture like the fabric on blue jeans. I am finding it difficult because of how denim varies in shading throughout a swatch of denim.

Part 2 - I then want to place this texture onto a layer on a section of a photo. Would I better off applying the look/texture in AP or should I bring the photo into AD? Should I do the addition as a raster or as a vector for the best results?

1) The easiest would probably be to make reusable styles out of several highres images from denim fabrics.

2) Though vector might offer the greatest usage flexibility here, see instead 1) which is easier to overall handle in terms of setup etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

16 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

1) The easiest would probably be to make reusable styles out of several highres images from denim fabrics.

2) Though vector might offer the gretest usage flexibility here, see 1) which is easier to handle overall in terms of setup.

Thanks.  How would I then work the different areas that result in wrinkles, creases, folds, and shading from shadows/sun/etc.?

5 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Do you want to have those or instead remove them?

I want to be able to add them, darken them, lighten them, color adjust, etc. where I feel needed as I create the item of focus in the chosen layer.

In a Photoshop tutorial, I remember seeing a presenter using the Liquify feature with a very large brush to manually edit a flat image of a fabric to create the appearance of folds. He then created a layer on top of his image filled with 50% grey in Softlight blend mode do do a bit of non-destructive dodging and burning by painting alternately with white and black.

Here's the video: 

I think the part about using Liquify to create the illusion of folds is around the 21:00 mark.

On 7/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, Mark Oehlschlager said:

I just applied the technique described in the video above to a denim image I found through Unsplash.

That's the direction I want to go for sure. Now I'll watch the video and see if I can duplicate the process onto the object chosen for the texture.