You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Working with textstyles

In Indesign you can import text styles from your Word document to your Indesign document. This allows you to import text directly in the right font / size. (Typograms)

In Publisher I also make text styles and it works fine too. I only must click each text manually in the 'text styles' menu. That is a lot of mouse clicking when creating a magazine. ;-) Because it does not happen automatically. Maybe I missed something in Publisher?

I'm probably confused about what @Peejee wants (as I don't know InDesign at all), but Placing a Word .docx file into Publisher brings all the styles along with it, doesn't it?

The imported text should then automatically look like it did in Word, including the fonts that were used, font sizes, and other styling.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

(...) Placing a Word .docx file into Publisher brings all the styles along with it, doesn't it? 

Yes, it brings the formatting – but no, it does not import styles to AfPubs text styles menu.

I assume Peejee asks for a kind of import options, which allows to select, transfer or even translate (replace) styles from a file which is going to become placed, into AfPublisher as saved text styles to have the placed text after import automatically assigned to those styles.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Yes, it brings the formatting – but no, it does not import styles to AfPubs text styles menu.

That's certainly true if you copy and paste, but I was sure that Placing a .docx carried the actual style definitions the last time I tried it. Not at my PC for awhile, so I can't try it again right now.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

If you place the .docx the text styles (also bookmarks) are imported as well. But not correctly in my case. About every style has the same font size. So here we have a problem (bug):

Step 1: Place the .docx, so every style gets imported.

Step 2: Edit / Correct the text styles getting imported. In my case I changed the font size for one style from 10 to 14 pt.

Step 3: Remove the text frame.

Step 4: Make a new text frame and import the same .docx again.

Expected: Imported text has now the formatting defined in the styles panel.

Result: The styles are now duplicated. A correct text style like "Fliesstext" and a wrong (new) text style called "Fliesstext 1". Formatting is now taken from the "duplicated" styles.

Conclusion: Automatic formatting during import of .docx files is for me not possible. Perhaps it works for others, because my .docx was not "native", but converted from a LibreOffice document (odt, ott).

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thanks, @Joachim_L, for confirming that the style definitions are also imported. Sorry to hear about the bug.

I'm a bit confused, though. Once you did step 2, why did you do steps 3 and 4? Simply doing step 2 should have fixed all your text and then you'd be done.

-- Walt
PC:

I had this workflow years ago: Several writers sent their style formatted text to me - based on my nomenklatura - and I had simply to import them into my publishing document, in which the same styles where correctly defined and applied on import. And so here is the "bug": If the text styles slightly differ (docx and afpub) and they do due to their nature, a new renamed text style will be put to the Publisher text styles.

Would be no problem at all if a) you will be asked for action during import because there are conflicting styles or b) if you were able to replace text styles with other text styles.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

29 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

b) if you were able to replace text styles with other text styles.

You can do that, using Find and Replace.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

You can do that, using Find and Replace.

Good point, but to me it would feel more "natural" if there where an option in the Text Styles panel. ;)

------

I'm probably confused about what @Peejee wants (as I don't know InDesign at all), but Placing a Word .docx file into Publisher brings all the styles along with it, doesn't it?

The imported text should then automatically look like it did in Word, including the fonts that were used, font sizes, and other styling

Thanks for welcome and reply! 

@ Walt Indeed it works as you said above. But editors in Word have not that kind of font collection that I have. 
This editors mostley have not that font typical choice that I wil use. 

In Indesign it is possible to Import Word.docx files with textstyles.  For example in Word made with the Times font or something else. But after importing in Indesign I used a Typogram that I made with the same name. But this typogram (textstyle) that I edited can also use another font and more, That what I like about this function in Adobe Indesing.  It is hard to explain for me to discripe this question in English, I'm sorry.. I hope you understand what I mean...

As far as I hear, at this place, it is not possible in Publisher at the moment. Maybe in the future. I hope so.
And I must say, I am so happy with this new software! Thanks for that Affinity! 

Does a .docx have to fulfill certain requirements?  test text styles.docx

With my attached sample file I neither get it placed with correct formatting nor does it generate text styles in the panel.

1475986010_docxplacewtextstyles0.jpg.9446d678c6044b734889b1a6303f2862.jpg

Though the placed result visually looks similar,
– it does not recognize Helvetica (for the smallest style) and now is missing the system font Calibri in a non existing weight "light".
– No style gets added to the text style panel:

550487797_docxplacewtextstyles1.jpg.eea3fca643124dce73aa0ef31f007164.jpg726608480_docxplacewtextstyles2.jpg.d9e91155937e83994d7d1b46ff485d52.jpg

How do you manage the styles from .docx to get items in the AfPub styles panel ?

With the same document saved as .rtf the placed result looks more different than the .docx (f.i. baseline decoration missing) and does not recognize fonts correctly and not create styles, either.

52358709_docxplacewtextstyles3asrtf.jpg.f6bdd2ffb3d08bcba162212f01f2ac9f.jpg

35 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Does a .docx have to fulfill certain requirements?

Did you actually assign styles in Word (or LibreOffice, or whatever created the .docx file)? Or did you simply style the text directly.

-- Walt
PC: