You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Denoising is not working properly, when using the filter almost no effect appears. Also repeating it makes nothing better. I miss the denoise extreme function. Is there anything I could do to go back to the old filter with this function?

Im very disappointed, while I used Affinity mainly to denoise photos.

• Staff

Hi Stimmungsbilder1,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Are you checking the filter output/effect at 100% zoom? Since live filters are dynamic their result is not totally accurate at arbitrary zoom levels. Unfortunately there's no way to enable the old filter (other than using the older 1.6 version). Can you post a real case/sample file where the current filter/implementation has not enough range to get the desired result/fix the noise so we can eventually provide some solutions or present the case to the dev team for consideration/improvement? Thanks.

54 minutes ago, Stimmungsbilder1 said:

I dont have a backup to the older version

If you purchased Affinity Photo from the Affinity Store you can download an earlier version from here:

https://store.serif.com/update/macos/photo/1/

If you purchased the app from the Mac App Store it isn’t possible to revert to an older version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

20 hours ago, Stimmungsbilder1 said:

I now spent the whole afternoon with this problem and I hope, help comes soon.

The old Denoise filter can be used very well in APh 1.7.1. Fortunately I still have APh 1.5.2 on my computer. Simply copy/paste the filters and they work as desired. I'll add an APh document that contains the filter (only the old Denoise filter and additionally the old Clarity filter, nothing more). As I said, you can copy/paste the filters and use them. Works great for me.

Have a nice weekend :)

_Klarheit:Rauschen_alt.afphoto

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Thank you very much, how do I copy and Paste them? 

That is really nice of you :) 

Meanwhile I downloaded the old version again and use it for this 10 day test. But to buy it again cant be the solution. I mean, destroying my workflow with an upgrade and then having to pay again to go back to the roots? I am still waiting for a solution from Affinity, But I guess its Weekend now. 

If you could explain me how to copy and paste the Filter into the upgraded  version I would Be greatful :) 

10 minutes ago, Stimmungsbilder1 said:

Thank you very much, how do I copy and Paste them? 

That is really nice of you :) 

Meanwhile I downloaded the old version again and use it for this 10 day test. But to buy it again cant be the solution. I mean, destroying my workflow with an upgrade and then having to pay again to go back to the roots? I am still waiting for a solution from Affinity, But I guess its Weekend now. 

If you could explain me how to copy and paste the Filter into the upgraded  version I would Be greatful :) 

Well, open my document with your APh 1.7.1 and open the document you want to edit as well and copy the filters from my document to the clipboard (Command-C) and paste them back into your document (Command-V). That's it. I hope this helps you with your workflow :)

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

7 minutes ago, Stimmungsbilder1 said:

Thanks a lot, what is the clpboard? Sorry, I am no Computer expert ;) 

The clipboard is a program-wide volatile memory. You can copy almost anything into it with Command-C and retrieve the contents with Command-V. :)

3 minutes ago, Stimmungsbilder1 said:

Thanks a lot, I will search this clipboard and try my best :) 

Your Nick makes me think you're German-speaking, right. So the clipboard is the "Zwischenablage" in German. Du musst die Zwischenablage nicht suchen, sie ist immer da! Du klickst den Denoise-Filter in meinem Dokument einmal an, gibst auf der Tastatur Command-C ein, öffnest dein Dokument, klickst die Ebene an die du bearbeiten willst und gibst auf der Tastatur Command-V ein. Fertig.

4 minutes ago, Stimmungsbilder1 said:

Oh super, jetzt habe ich es verstanden-vielen herzlichen Dank :) 

Translation: Now I understood, thanks a lot again :) 

Kein Thema, immer gerne :)

• Staff

Hi Stimmungsbilder1,
Please check your PM's. I suggest you try/check the live version available through menu Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Noise > Denoise... in Photo Persona. It should give you stronger results (in this case) than the destructive version or the Noise Reduction tab (in Develop Persona) which is what I believe you used in your example above.

26 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Stimmungsbilder1,
Please check your PM's. I suggest you try/check the live version available through menu Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Noise > Denoise... in Photo Persona.

Sorry Meb, but the new Denoise filter does not have the same impact as the old filter, neither directly nor as a life filter, neither in the photo persona nor in the develop persona. I need the function of the old filter for my work! Why don't you reinstall it in addition to the new one - obviously it works with APh 1.7.x. That doesn't hurt anyone! There are a lot of users here who want the old filter back! In the meantime I proceed as I described it above. It is only a small detour ... 

PS. Apart from all that, you're all doing a great job, for years my workflow for graphics and image editing has been built entirely on Affinity. And now I also create my layouts with Publisher. As I said before: Great job!

• Staff

Hi Puck,
With this particular image the live filter does seem to provide stronger results than the destructive filter or the Noise Reduction tab in Develop Persona (which is what I believe the user was doing/using). Depending on the image there may be cases where the opposite is true due to the way the destructive filter works - according to the development, it estimates the noise level throughout the whole image and scales the intensity of the effect accordingly. The live filter doesn't do this due to the tiled nature of the rendering pipeline thus the results differ depending on the images. In any case I've (re)opened our report/log (there was already one dealing with this) and passed your and other's users feedback to the dev team for comments.

22 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Puck,
With this particular image the live filter does seem to provide stronger results than the destructive filter or the Noise Reduction tab in Develop Persona (which is what I believe the user was doing/using). Depending on the image there may be cases where the opposite is true due to the way the destructive filter works - according to the development, it estimates the noise level throughout the whole image and scales the intensity of the effect accordingly. The live filter doesn't do this due to the tiled nature of the rendering pipeline thus the results differ depending on the images. In any case I've (re)opened our report/log (there was already one dealing with this) and passed your and other's users feedback to the dev team for comments.

Hi Meb, thanks for the quick response! I can understand your reasoning, but stick to my opinion. The old filter obviously works very well in APh 1.7.X, so I see no reason not to reintegrate it! But it's nice to hear that you are passing this and similar discussions about this filter on to the developers! I look hopefully into the future.

• Staff

Hi Stimmungsbilder1,
I've passed this to the dev team and I'm still waiting their replies/comments.
Regarding the use of the live filter - what values are you using? I've recorded a small gif/clip (with the known colour limitations it has) and without spending any time at all adjusting the filter, it gives me a much stronger/cleaner result than what your image shows at just 17%. Aren't you getting the same results?

noise_reduction.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Dear MEB,

nothing brought me further on.

Now Im trying to buy the old version once more from your store, but that seems not possible? The link always leads me to the new version.

There is no way to create an account at your store first, either. 

This is really getting on my nerves. I want the old version back, because that worked for me. How can I buy the product key for the old version I downloaded to test?

Best regards 

Stimmungsbilder1

34 minutes ago, Stimmungsbilder1 said:

I want the old version back, because that worked for me. How can I buy the product key for the old version I downloaded to test?

You can buy the Affinity Store version from here: https://affinity.serif.com/photo/

Unlike the Mac App Store, the Affinity Store allows you to download previous versions of Affinity Photo: https://store.serif.com/update/macos/photo/1/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)