You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preview Mode in Designer without any lines?

Hi,

just have a small project that I want to do in designer and for the consistents I need some Guides, Margins, bleeds, columns. Nice all there, but when I want to see how the Layout looks like without all the lines there no way to hide them in one step.

In Publisher is a Preview Mode, why not in designer?

You professional advice is that I should use Publisher for ... maybe a user interface project? with Icons and other stuff that need symbols and assets. I don't think so. Also in Designer is a preview mode useful.

1 hour ago, 3joern said:

maybe a user interface project? with Icons and other stuff that need symbols and assets.

Publisher supports all of that, too. However, it lacks the Pixel Persona if that's important to your work, and the Export Persona.

And, yes, suggesting the use of Publisher can be viewed as a workaround for your problem. But it could help until Serif decides to provide the Preview function in Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Maybe I don't understand it right, but this is the feature request and suggestion area, right. I don't need interim solutions, I want to suggest a feature that maybe also help other, so I think in this area the community agree or disagree suggestions or requests.

I don't think is the right way to give Serif the support of »you can do it by a complicated not good solution« I hope they also want Designer became to be a better software, so please, support feature request with constructive feedback, that they understand how many customers need it or not. Don't spoil the Software engineers, That's their job.  

Sorry if this sounds harsh, english is not my mother tongue :7_sweat_smile:

3 hours ago, 3joern said:

In Publisher is a Preview Mode, why not in designer?

Excellent point. I waste a fair amount of time turning everything off/on via the menu.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 6 months later...

Any update on this request?

I actually started my project in Publisher, but move it to designer for better control ... however now in order to turn off the crosslink in a vector box I need to go back to publisher and remember to turn on preview mode. this is fairly easy at first, but it will reset back to visible at some point (I think).

So not sure if this feature is connected directly with pages, but would save me a lot of time. 

Thanks

Please_add_to_designer.png

I understand that Serif is trying to differentiate between its different apps for things that rightly belong to one app or another, but I keep feeling like preview mode should not be one of them. Forget Publisher for a moment: if things like guides, margins, and bleed rightfully belong in Designer, then so does the need to be able to turn off display of these interface elements to see a clean preview of a finished design. I fail to understand how a preview mode is more relevant in Publisher than in Designer.

For folks like me who have also purchased Publisher, the lack of this feature that has already implemented seems like an annoying arbitrary limitation that forces one to unnecessarily open up Publisher just to see a preview, even when Designer is the natural choice for the project at hand.

For folks who only have Designer because they only work on the kind of documents that Designer is best suited for, do they have no need of a preview mode at all? For example, is it useless in designing vector artwork? I think not.

• 3 years later...