You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Experimenting a bit with Publisher I tried to nest text frames (do not know what the exact use could be right now), but to my surprise this is only working, if you nest the text frame in a picture frame. Nesting a text frame in a text frame the "child frame" gets invisible. If nesting text frames is unwanted behaviour, why it is still allowed?

Added: Funny side effect. If you un-nest the text frames again and now try to select both frames only one text frame has handles. Normally when more objects are selected, the handles appear as they are grouped. You can now add as many objects as you like, only one object has handles.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you understand better with the images. Text frames are both transparent and no text wrap. Second part of my story seems to be fixed.

nested-layer-1.jpg

nested-layer-2.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 7/26/2019 at 12:08 PM, Joachim_L said:

I tried to nest text frames (do not know what the exact use could be right now)

You possibly want to pin a textframe inside another one with the pinning tool > main tool bar:  1252448857_pinned-pinningtoolflowatwithtext.jpg.ab8eede2cbf108da84e317d44941a369.jpg

The layer order will look the same as in your screenshot AND additionally shows a pin icon for the nested frame:
1950613408_pinnedtextframeintotextframe.thumb.jpg.e73cf370fe7ade5fd809a23bc083e9c0.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

@Joachim_L

I think you want the second text box pinned, not nested which clips as Dave suggested. The text in the second frame is being clipped to the TEXT in the first frame, and that text is solid black, so you would not see the effect even if the text of the second frame was underneath the text of the first frame. The TEXT is the key here not the dimensions of the (unfilled) frame

image.png

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Ahhhhh, finally saw it. Both textframes had black text so I did not saw the effect. Thank you.

------

On 8/6/2019 at 1:43 PM, Joachim_L said:

Both textframes had black text so I did not saw the effect.

Different colors are not enough in case you really want your "nested" text frame not being pinned but rather being masked by the other text: Then you also must make sure their texts cover common areas on page. Else it would be placed outside its masking text, even if inside its frame area, as in your screenshots.

322191261_pinned-ormaskedtextframe.jpg.176b7a33903288aee4c90155f2ee11e0.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I often use this form of text frame inside another text frame, in order to make it visible I make sure that it has a text wrap to it,  that way the underlying text goes around it and does not obscure any part of it.

John