You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My Leading Override feature is not working!

The Character Panel help topic says

Leading Override—applies local override to selected text to increase the leading with regard to the paragraph’s leading.

"Local" means for selected text in a paragraph, so for example when I select the word "HOWEVER" & increase its leading override to something greater than the paragraph leading, I get something like this:

Override.jpg.69a348e0dcd7fed6ec7340f295e33226.jpg

Are you not seeing something similar?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 7 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 1:25 PM, WestCoastPDX said:

Yes, but it does NOTHING when I try to use the feature! Nada at all

I’ve been struggling with this feature myself today. I've used plenty of text "setting" system, ranging from photo-typesetting hardware to page composition programs. This is the first time I've encountered such a thing as "Leading Override" in software and have found it pretty confusing. I'm about to make a new post about it and hope that someone will be able to steer me in the right direction.

It does work . . . but how it works seems very strange indeed.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

46 minutes ago, MikeA said:

This is the first time I've encountered such a thing as "Leading Override" in software and have found it pretty confusing.

It is probably confusing mostly because it is implemented not as a paragraph attribute but as a 'local' character attribute, even though it affects everything on the same line of text as the character(s) the override is applied to.

IOW, leading override is really a text line attribute, but since in Affinity there is no separate text line attribute panel it is included in the character one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Leading is a Paragraph attribute and as such is applied to an entire line of text. The override is there for the rare situation when you have a glyph that has ascenders or decenders which will cover the line above or below it (for situations where the descender is causing problems you would need to choose the line below). If you want to change the vertical location of a word or character use the Baseline Shift for that instance.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

32 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

(for situations where the defender is causing problems you would need to choose the line below).

Dang those pesky defenders! 😈

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Dang those pesky defenders! 😈

I fixed them, I fixed them good!

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

• 6 months later...

I can't seem to make an adjustment to the leading override setting. I make the adjustment in the text style panel Paragraph > Spacing > Leading but the change I make doesn't do anything. The leading in one paragraph style is different to a second paragraph style even though the leading setting is the same. The Leading Override setting is different but I can't seem to adjust that so they are the same.

Edited by CameronQ

1 hour ago, CameronQ said:

I can't seem to make an adjustment to the leading override setting. I make the adjustment in the text style panel Paragraph > Spacing > Leading but the change I make doesn't do anything. The leading in one paragraph style is different to a second paragraph style even though the leading setting is the same. The Leading Override setting is different but I can't seem to adjust that so they are the same.

Leading is a Paragraph attribute, the Leading Override is a Character attribute.

Plus check to see if the two Paragraph Styles are set to honour Align to Baseline.

• 1 year later...

There seems to be an issue with text boxes that have been copied and pasted from another document.

I am working on a design for a DVD inlay and now need to make it for Bluray.

If I copy a text box from one open Publisher window to another the leading is locked in both character and paragraph panels.

2 hours ago, spidermurph said:

If I copy a text box from one open Publisher window to another the leading is locked in both character and paragraph panels.

I have never seen this behaviour. Is it in fact text or has it been converted to curves? Check the layers panel to see if it is text or curves. Are you using the text Caret to select the text (paragraphs)?