You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Styles: Move between categories; how to create icons

It would be nice to be able to move Styles from one category to another. As it is now, if you are in the wrong category when you create a Style, it is stuck there.

Also, when a new Style is created, it does not have an icon like the built-in styles (Neon, etc.). If you are displaying thumbnails instead of a list, there is nothing to indicate the presence of the newly-created style. It would be good to have the name under the thumbnail, and some kind of default image for new styles.

The ability to move styles would be nice.

For the rest: The Style names under the thumbnails have been restored in Designer Beta 1.7.2.424 and Publisher Beta 1.7.2.422 on Windows, and probably in a current or forthcoming beta on Mac.

They also have icons, though of course the icon's appearance is determined by what you have specified for the style's characteristics.

For example, here's the style I just created from a pink rectangle: image.png.5330b6b0674b1fca015d73b4b6bf4226.png

But if I create a style from an unfilled shape, that just has a simple stroke, I get this: image.png.d8573d5fa2359e8da3f961589c4e9916.png

(The second one is from showing them in list mode.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

The Style names under the thumbnails have been restored in Designer Beta 1.7.2.424 and Publisher Beta 1.7.2.422 on Windows, and probably in a current or forthcoming beta on Mac.

FWIW, the Mac retail versions of all 3 apps show style names now. In icon view, the names are still truncated to the width of the icon, so for example, the first style shown below is named "Orange Flame Burst" but not much of it shows. Not a big deal but it might be better if longer names were given more space by increasing the distance between style icons when needed.
1368670263_styleslist.jpg.b9b50c93b742cf9a30f9498b3b570bc1.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7