You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brushes Unuseable-High CPU/Memory Usage

Hi everyone....hope this finds you well!

Recent development on my end. Brushes usage has gotten really buggy and is causing CPU overload, memory jumps and slow performance. Also Designer is leaking memory after closing the program.
Everything was fine a couple days ago and I haven't changed anything I can think of.

I will select a brush and color and when I try and bracket up the brush size things begin to fail. In some brush sets the brush I've selected will deselect itself and default to another brush, in others I select a brush change size or color-brush deselects, in all CPU will jump and about 30 secs later I'll see my stroke. Impossible to use. All other brushes unless at a very small pixel width are also causing the same problems.
i5-4960K @ 3.5Ghz, 16GB DDR3 Ram, Win 8.1 64 bit x64 based processor, MSI GTX 970, LG Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 and a small Dell monitor or a Vizio Tv as second monitor. ( I switched out the tv this morning to make sure it was not somehow the problem).

I ran memtest a few weeks ago and all is fine. Anyone else having these problems? Any suggestions before I jump off my roof?

Thanks!

WhoaHeySlowDownThere.jpg

Program is closed.jpg

MyPoorSSD.jpg

Memory Leak.jpg

Affinity on Desktop Questions (in the Support forum) might have been a better choice, as I'm not sure you have obviously found a bug, other than the possible memory leak. But you may have, and given the apparent memory leak I don't think I'd move it. The moderators can always move it if needed.

The memory leak: how long did you wait after closing the program to take that Task Manager snapshot? Does Designer eventually finish closing? If not, that's definitely a bug. Even if it's just excessively slow finishing the shutdown, it may be a bug.

Have you tried working with your mouse, rather than your Huion tablet, to see if the problem is somehow tablet-related?

Does this happen with all documents, or just a specific one? How big are your typical documents, and how complex?

What size is the brush you're using when you start to experience the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell @Mark Ingram

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Affinity on Desktop Questions (in the Support forum) might have been a better choice, as I'm not sure you have obviously found a bug, other than the possible memory leak. But you may have, and given the apparent memory leak I don't think I'd move it. The moderators can always move it if needed.

The memory leak: how long did you wait after closing the program to take that Task Manager snapshot? Does Designer eventually finish closing? If not, that's definitely a bug. Even if it's just excessively slow finishing the shutdown, it may be a bug.

Have you tried working with your mouse, rather than your Huion tablet, to see if the problem is somehow tablet-related?

Does this happen with all documents, or just a specific one? How big are your typical documents, and how complex?

What size is the brush you're using when you start to experience the problem?

First of all thank you both for responding.

*Concerning the memory leak. That screenshot was taken about 15 mins after closing the program....maybe a little longer. Designer was "semi-highlighted" on my desktop- box around it. I had to end task in task manager.
*Tablet vs mouse doesn't matter.
* File size doesn't matter. Last file while successfully using brushes was 25mb. Was using brushes over 2000px. May have been a little sketchy but having not had access to good brushes before (previous CorelDraw user) I don't know what great performance looks like. Doesn't seem to matter now.
* Brush size again..........I'm including the test file I did yesterday. Not my best work and I was a bit frustrated at the time that was produced. :)
* File size 291MB which seems big to me for included doc.

A couple notes on my end.  I'm new to the program but I have a lot hours in a couple docs I've worked on. Coming to AD specifically for use of brushes. I'm wondering now after a few net searches if it might my processor is bottle necking. Are my specs good? Could this be on my end? Thoughts on system optimization? Currently looking into CPU upgrade as this has stopped me dead in my tracks. Good to see Walt has same GPU!

Anyway..thanks again.

BrushFail.afdesign