You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Help only shows Publisher Help

That might sound like a bit of a strange thing to say - “Yeah, so it does what it’s supposed to, what's wrong with that?” - but when you switch Persona to either Designer or Photo you still get just the Publisher help and not the help for the persona you’re in.
I’m not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but it doesn’t seem right to me somehow. For example, while in the Designer persona I might want to see how to use the Vector Brush Tool, which isn’t in Publisher, but I can only see the Publisher help so I can’t see the help for that tool.
It’s not a massive problem as we also have the online help available from a browser but I thought I’d mention it.
I didn’t think this was a bug as such so I didn’t post this in the Bugs forum.

Yes, that would be nice.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

I have suggested that Photo and Designer's own helps should be started when using the help option in those personas. Failing that, have a link to the Photo and Designer online help for those applications within the installed Publisher help pages.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Failing that, have a link to the Photo and Designer online help for those applications within the installed Publisher help pages.

Or perhaps within the Help menu pulldown, much as there are links to the Tutorials.

But I like your idea of launching the appropriate Help based on the currently active persona.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

One thing I noticed in the help section: make sure you define your terms. 

For true help, please do this:

1.define term, say what a tool does (which goal to achieve)

2. provide step by step to reach that goal.

Currently, help lists a tool, doesn't tell what it precisely does, doesn't list steps. It isn't a text to show a newcomer what tools to use, why to use which tool, and how to do it. 

• 10 months later...