You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Wrap Bug - PSD to Affinity

I've opened a psd with text boxes, with the option to import text "live" rather than rasterized. However, the text in the boxes wraps after one letter, so that each letter in a word is its own line. I can't find a way to get the text to wrap normally into the text box. When I select the text, the highlighted area also stretches way off to the right of the screen.

white_star.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Topcliffe.

Which Affinity application did you open it in?

Can you save the result you got as an Affinity file (.afdesign, .afphoto, .afpub, as appropriate) and attach it for us to look at, along with the .psd file that you used? That might help us tell you a workaround, and would probably be necessary for Serif to investigate it as a bug.

As you're new here, I'm not sure if you can add attachments to your posts yet; that ability is unlocked after a few posts, I think, but I don't now exactly how many it takes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the greeting Walt, and my apologies for not specifying the program I'm using, which is Photo. Unfortunately though, because of the file-size limit on uploads to the forum, I can't upload either the .psd or .afphoto file since they contain multiple layers and are 90-100MB each. I'll try to crank out smaller versions of the files by stripping out the other layers. I'm afraid to open the .psd in Photoshop because it keeps crashing my entire system, something it only started doing recently and for which I've yet to find a fix, which is what prompted my switch to Affinity Photo to begin with.

I did figure out that it has to do with the font I was using (Cheltenham). I've switched to another similar font and the text wraps correctly. Still, it'd be interesting to see what the issue is. I'll upload a revised file shortly if I'm able to get it to the right file size.

Thanks again!

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you save the result you got as an Affinity file (.afdesign, .afphoto, .afpub, as appropriate) and attach it for us to look at, along with the .psd file that you used? That might help us tell you a workaround, and would probably be necessary for Serif to investigate it as a bug.

As you're new here, I'm not sure if you can add attachments to your posts yet; that ability is unlocked after a few posts, I think, but I don't now exactly how many it takes.

Ok, here's a reduced file with the buggy text, along with a package of the fonts I used. Thanks again for your help.

white_star_test.afphoto

Fonts.zip

Hi Walt - can I ask one more question please? I'm using AP for the first time, and I'm really loving it and plan to get the full version. Regarding text in Photo, I see that there are no hyphenation options in the Paragraph panel, is this feature not available in Photo, or does it become active only in the non-trial version? Thanks again for your help!

You can specify the language for hyphenation in the Character panel, or in the Character section of the definition for a Paragraph Text Style. But I don't think there's a setting to turn  automatic hyphenation on, nor to fine-tune its behavior, as there is in Publisher.

I don't view Photo as a tool for working with large amounts of text, and personally I wouldn't find a use for automatic hyphenation in Photo.

I don't see the auto-hyphenation options in Designer, either, and I think people have asked for automatic hyphenation there, previously.

Publisher is now the main Affinity tool for working with large amounts of text, and that's where the automatic hyphenation feature lives, today.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks again Walt. For this project, since the graphics are more problematic than the text, and I need more robust blending-mode options, I decided to use Photoshop/AfPhoto instead of InDesign/Publisher. No big deal, it's only 28 text boxes total, easy enough to hyphenate by hand where necessary.

7 minutes ago, Topcliffe said:

Thanks again Walt. For this project, since the graphics are more problematic than the text, and I need more robust blending-mode options, I decided to use Photoshop/AfPhoto instead of InDesign/Publisher. No big deal, it's only 28 text boxes total, easy enough to hyphenate by hand where necessary.

OK.

But for another alternative, possibly for the future: if you have both Publisher and Photo you could consider using Publisher (getting the better text functions) and Publisher's Photo persona for the more robust image functions.

-- Walt
PC:

That's good to know, thank you very much. I'm still getting my bearings with Affinity, so I appreciate the pointers. I'm pretty much decided I'm going to be making the switch now that I see how seamlessly I can edit my old Adobe files and what a robust program Photo is. As I'm sure you've heard from many others, I've finally had it with Adobe and their nonstop BS. After around 25 years in my case!

Whether you can substitute the Affinity applications for the Adobe applications may depend on a variety of factors. And it's probably a different set for every user. For some, smart object support is important because they've used it extensively in their Adobe files, and Affinity can't handle them except flattened.. For others, the ability to generate PSD files that contain editable text is critical, so they can send those files to Adobe users.

If it's working for you, and well enough to switch, that's great :)

-- Walt
PC: