You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shortcut jumping to previous tool

I use Photo for painting. At least for such I feel being one letter assigned to multiple tools is NOT a most helpful solution. I would be happy for Shift+ being a default and only way for circle in between them not not to select some I do not need at the moment accidentally which happens a lot when you return to what you do after some layer adjustment etc. Instead of pressing shortcut just for sure you need to look and control what you got selected at the moment which is not much user friendly.  

Anyway, I have deleted the "B" shortcut from all tools shortcut settings except for brush, to avoid it. But the shortcut works not well. It still circles, but not in between the tools it used to be under such shortcut, but between the brush and the last selected tool. So a lot of times I start to erase instead of painting, for eraser is the most often used tool aside for brush. And so on. Works with other tools too, laso, dodge, etc. 

I see the same topic in suggestions from last year, but with no reply, so I assume it is a bug. 

Win 7. 

2 minutes ago, hokic said:

I see the same topic in suggestions from last year, but with no reply, so I assume it is a bug.

It has never been a bug but it has always been undesirable behaviour for many users. In version 1.7 there is a Preferences setting where you can turn it off, but please note that this will also turn off cycling among tools in a group (e.g. pressing J repeatedly to cycle among the tools in the group that includes the Healing Brush Tool and the Inpainting Brush Tool).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

24 minutes ago, Alfred said:

but please note that this will also turn off cycling among tools in a group (e.g. pressing J repeatedly to cycle among the tools in the group that includes the Healing Brush Tool and the Inpainting Brush Tool).

The new option does not turn off the cycling between tools that have the same shortcut. Cycling will still work, but one must also press shift along with the tool's shortcut.

What it turns off is the "switch to the prior tool if you press the same shortcut twice when you're already on the tool and there are no related tools."

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The new option does not turn off the cycling between tools that have the same shortcut. Cycling will still work, but one must also press shift along with the tool's shortcut.

Thanks for providing that clarification, Walt. I think I expressed it badly!

All I meant was that if you don’t invoke the new option, pressing J repeatedly will cycle through the tools in the Healing Brush group, but if you do invoke the new option it will no longer cycle (because, as you’ve pointed out, you need to hold down Shift at the same time).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)