You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find & Replace Bug

Find and replace works great, the first time. However, if you try to use it immediately after the first time with a different word, it will replace your new word with the old word (even when it's changed).

The first time I noticed it did that, I wasn't sure what happened so I had to close out and hope it wasn't saved with it wrong. The second time I saw exactly what I describe above (which explains what happened the first time).

I'm not sure if that happens every time, but it has happened to me twice.

I think what is happening is that I (and you) expect that the new Find entry should clear the old Found list but it doesn't for some reason. We have to hit the find button to generate a new list.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I could have been clearer. Having re-read your first comment I think I have actually misunderstood the problem.

When I enter some new word in the Find and Replace sections the previous selection of found words is still in the list and the replace term will act on those words. Say I search for Cat and want to replace it with Dog, then I change my mind and wish to find Fish and replace it with Flower. I must perform the search again because the found list for Cat isn't cleared when I enter Fish in the search term and this may inadvertently result in the found Cat list will getting replaced with Flower. 

"The Cat ate the Fish" becomes "The Flower ate the Fish".

It is 60% operator error and 40% a lack of automating the clearing of the found list of words when a new search term is entered.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

To me it is rather a misunderstanding of a non-intuitive UI navigation than a bug. To get a found item replaced it must be highlighted in the found list. No highlight - no replace. Therefore it looks obvious that not the not-searched text in the find text field gets replaced but the one in the list of found items.

However I guess there is a bug because the list keeps findings until document close. No problem so far.
But it does not keep the search term AND it seems NOT to replace any found item if the Replace field is empty. That is contradictory.

For instance in this situation nothing gets replaced - whereas, according to the Replace entry, I'd expect it to get deleted (=replaced WITH nothing)

1794679181_FRemptysearch-replacesnothing.jpg.e8df073b4c15d2ccc385a2dd70792671.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

37 minutes ago, thomaso said:

But it does not keep the search term AND it seems NOT to replace any found item if the Replace field is empty. That is contradictory.

For instance in this situation nothing gets replaced - whereas, according to the Replace entry, I'd expect it to get deleted (=replaced WITH nothing)

I have never seen Publisher delete the value in the Find field. Did you do that manually? And if so, why?

As for being able to delete by replacing with nothing, that should work if you are doing a standard Find operation. But it might not work in some regular-expression based Find operations. Again, not being able to see what you are Finding, nor your Find options, I can't comment further on that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

I have never seen Publisher delete the value in the Find field. Did you do that manually? And if so, why?

No, I used F & R last time yesterday and just came back there and found the panel like in the screenshot: both text fields empty but not emptied by an action of mine.
Since the app remembers the findings I would expect they have a pur

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

not being able to see what you are Finding,

The screenshot shows the findings in both text frame an F&R panel.
In that specific situation (with empty find field) it does not matter at all which search mode is selected. That makes the bug more obvious, since, you are right, with text in the search field the findings will become deleted in "normal" search mode.

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I can't comment further on that.

Thanks, but I see no need to write if you have nothing to write ;)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1