You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Continuing problems with choosing clours

Why can't can't I make B the same colour as A?

I click on A to get the colour to appear in the large circle to the left of the eye-dropper. I then move the eye-dropper to pick up this colour After selecting shape B I click on the small circle to the right of the eye dropper and get a different colour than I was expecting.

When alternately selecting A and B you can see the colour triangle change position each time. The default colour profile wasn't changed.

However as before I can do it using Edit> copy and pasting Style.

Colour setting.afdesign

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

OK this may solve the problem but re resetting the app actually brings up another problem!

When you do his everything goes back to its default setting thus losing the way you have set up your work space.

Would it not be a good idea to be able to just restore the offending item back to its default setting or is this possible anyway?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Have you tried the HSL sliders choice (in colours) & type in the exact values that you want to achive ?

Thanks but I shouldn't need to do this, I expect to be able to do it my way as Sinatra once sang!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Just to make sure … you are moving the eyedropper to one of the shapes on your canvas … and not on the colour fill circle on the Colour panel? When I do the latter I do get different colours … please have a look at my video.

Cheers, Alex  :)

Colours.mov

I am doing exactly what you did and it still doesn't work either way.

BTW should you have said in question above "Are you...." instead of "You are...."

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Oh yes, Jack,

I am very sorry … my poor English … of course it was meant as a question … let me assure you, that didn’t want to offend you in any way …  :)

I really would like to help you with this issue, since I can imagine how frustrating this is. Perhaps I was not clear enough: What is shown in my video, is usually not the right way to do what you want to achieve. So when I posted this video, I wanted to rule out that you are doing, what is shown in the video. Let me explain my motivations. I wondered about a certain sentence in your first post. You wrote:

I click on A to get the colour to appear in the large circle to the left of the eye-dropper. I then move the eye-dropper to pick up this colour …

To transfer the colour of rectangle A to rectangle B it is not necessary to select rectangle A and make the colour of A "appear in the large circle to the left of the eye dropper". No, you can just drag the eyedropper to rectangle A on the canvas (without selecting it before), select rectangle B and click on the small circle to the right of the eye dropper. But since you wrote the above sentence, I thought that you might have used the eyedropper to pick the colour from the large circle to the left, just as it is shown in my video above. And doing so would result in different colours …

So let me send you another screen cast showing the "correct" way to use the eyedropper. As you will see, I get exactly the same colours. Should that not work for you, then I don’t know what else could be wrong.

Once again, let me apologize if I should have offended you. Best, Alex  :)

Correct.mov

Hi Alex - please don't worry you didn't offend me at all! I thought that perhaps you just the two words mixed up. I am English and even I do that sometimes.

I did what you have just described in your video and it worked. Brilliant! this I will do from now on.

What puzzles me is that I have been doing it my way when I used to use Serif's DrawPlus and also with AD. I don't understand why it is now different. Fortunately I didn't reset AD as was suggested by MEB because I didn't want to have to lose my work space.

What is the purpose of the large colour circle if the eye dropper is used to select the colour directly from the shape?

It make sense to me that the large circle should be the same colour as whatever the shape colour is. It is much easier to use the eye dropper to select the large circle to change the colour of the small circle.

I would like to know what is the definitive way of selecting colours. What should the rule book say?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi Jack – I am so glad that we were able to sort this out …  :)

Well, I must confess that I have never used DrawPlus, so perhaps I am not in the best position to answer your further questions … maybe one of the developers or Miguel (MEB) can help you with that …

But I would subscribe to your point that we should get exactly the same colour, no matter, if we are sampling from a shape on the canvas or if we are sampling from the fill / stroke selectors (the large circles left to the eyedropper symbol) while the same shape is activated and sends its fill /stroke information to the selectors. This does not seem to be the case, and perhaps this should be considered a bug. Maybe the developers can shed some light on that issue.

See you, and all the best,

Alex  :)