You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text wrap moves away text by lines only

I have an image surrounded by a text in a text frame. When I set some padding in the "Distance from text" part of the Text Wrap window, the text is not immediately shifted away from the image, but as soon as the value of the padding is increased enough, it jumps line by line. This is not necessarily what I would like to achieve. Is it possible to set the padding more precisely, for example by 1mm?

Text wrap.gif

The Text is probably set to honour the Baseline.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

49 minutes ago, Ondrejcz said:

Nope, it is not. I just double checked.

Did you check all of the baseline settings? There are at least 3.

One is in the Paragraph studio panel:

image.png.50b7a2d5fb757cb53bc3c5181f977487.png

Two are in the Text Frame Studio panel:

image.png.dd6d6db20523604e20f82f07e68442e3.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just checked and can confirm that all the three baseline grid checkboxes mentioned above are unchecked. Problem still present.

I think this might not be caused by the baseline since as you can see in the GIF below, the lines of the two columns are not aligned. This is likely cause by something else, but I'm pretty much unable to figure out the cause.

Demo.gif

Edited by Ondrejcz

4 hours ago, Ondrejcz said:

Still unable to figure it out - it's as my message above describe.

And it's strange, because it's definitely acting like "Ignore baseline grid" is off, but we can see that it's on.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @Ondrejcz.  Since your image is the same width as your text frame, perhaps you can try a different test wrap setting.  Instead of the Jump option, try the Tight option with Wrap to Both Sides and you will see that there is far less space between the top and bottom image margins.  You can then adjust the top and bottom settings by small increments.  The down arrows should let you reduce space.   I tried this and it seemed to work.  (I am using picas for measurements.)

1507898168_ScreenShot2019-07-25at2_41_24PM.thumb.png.036c7a111c5822a4c82299eb4deb1428.png  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

And it's strange, because it's definitely acting like "Ignore baseline grid" is off, but we can see that it's on.

12 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Hi @Ondrejcz.  Since your image is the same width as your text frame, perhaps you can try a different test wrap setting.  Instead of the Jump option, try the Tight option with Wrap to Both Sides and you will see that there is far less space between the top and bottom image margins.  You can then adjust the top and bottom settings by small increments.  The down arrows should let you reduce space.   I tried this and it seemed to work.  (I am using picas for measurements.) 

Still no luck. I don't know what I could be possibly doing wrong. I've attached the project file in case you'd be willing to check it out.

LOGIS Metals Template.afpub

On 7/24/2019 at 6:52 AM, Ondrejcz said:

This is not necessarily what I would like to achieve. Is it possible to set the padding more precisely, for example by 1mm?

What we are seeing here is the result of tension (for want of a better term) between the Top Align and the Leading. To fix this problem you will need to break up the text frame into two separate columns and then split them around the photos. then you can start the bottom frame where ever you want it to be in relation to the photo.
A line of type is wanting to be aligned to the top of the text frame and that means you will have some sort of multiple of leading occurring. I do think that this could be over-ridden somehow in code but that would probably result in more problems down the line. If it is absolutely necessary to have a 2 mm gap, or whatever size, then you could use the splitting of columns. Myself, I would use Align to Baseline Grid and crop the photos with a frame if it is necessary to micro-adjust the distance between the bottom of the photo and next line of type.
You also have a text wrap applied to your text frames and a very odd (in my mind) choice for the leading. Plus the headings' Text Frames have that same 1.1mm text wrap on the top and sides.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Hi @Ondrejcz.  I have been fiddling with your file.  The first thing I found -- like @Old Bruce is that you do not have the text frames linked.  I don't know how you placed the 2 columns of text on each page, but when I tried linking text frames, I discovered that each page has a single text frame not each column, although for some reason the text does flow from the left column to the right. Undoubtedly something I don't know how to do.  I linked page 1 and page 2 and text did flow properly between column 2 of page 1 and column 1 of page 2.   The second thing I experimented with was moving the images to slightly different locations in their appropriate column of text.  It appears to me that the problem you are having could be related somehow to the shortness of the paragraphs?  Although why that would be is beyond me.   I wonder whether the large gaps have anything to do with the space between paragraphs?   I have attached two samples of what I have done.  In both, I was able to close the gap between the bottom of the image and the text (although not be single increments) but by fewer than your post, and then by using the upward arrow key, move the image just enough to equalize the gap at the top and bottom of the image.   I hope this isn't as clear as mud!!

860320894_ScreenShot2019-07-26at3_59_16PM.thumb.png.cf9eaa4b84c92c34babaa3e1479f4f3c.png1694227220_ScreenShot2019-07-26at4_01_05PM.thumb.png.563015eb40e4e0dbcfe3c75588d8afb5.png    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

2 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I don't know how you placed the 2 columns of text on each page,

Manually placed text frames each setup with the Text Frame studio to have 2 columns is my guess.

• 1 year later...

According to Affinity 'this is intentional behavior'. See this comment on another discussion. They gave no explanation as to the logic the program uses to determine the actual 'distance from text', nor Affinity's rationale for making it behave this way. IMO, this makes the text wrap feature virtually useless when we don't wish to snap to a baseline grid.

• 1 year later...

This is definitely problematic. InDesign has a preference for this behaviour: "Skip by leading", so you can at least turn it off there. It seems counterintuitive to have text jump round an object and behave as if there were invisible lines of text in between, unless you're using a baseline grid. Obviously that's what would happen if text was wrapping to one or both sides of the object, but I strongly suspect that most of the time people use the "Jump" wrap setting they want the text to continue straight after the wrapped object.