You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Notabug: Personas at Publisher startup selectable, but senseless

Or maybe I am not able to see the benefit. Not a bug IMO, but should be removed in a later version. Right now starting Publisher with no document, Personas for Designer and Photo are selectable. Once switched to Designer / Photo the only action (making sense) is new or open. After this action you are redirected to the Publisher Persona. Maybe the Personas for Designer and Photo should be greyed out.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum.

Edited by Joachim_L
Sorry, wrong forum.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I agree.

When you start in Publisher, then switch to the Designer persona, then create a new document (which is always a Publisher document with no option to change), you then automatically get shunted back to Publisher.
If, when you created the new document, you created one for the persona you were in and you stayed in there then it would make sense to have things as they are. But if you always have to create a Publisher document and automatically get put back into Publisher then being able to switch persona at that stage make no sense to me either.

Note, though, that it is important to be able to use File > New from the Designer Persona. That is the only time in Publisher that you can choose to have your new document contain Artboards rather than Pages. But having chosen to create an Artboard, you still get shunted back into the Publisher Persona.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Not always. You have to select type Devices to create artboards. For all other types artboards are not available. And for what use case I should create artboards here? Just curious. Anyway there seems to be something wrong. One artboard 1024x768 looks fine in print dialogue on A3, the other artboard 604x381 has the red rectangle in print dialogue on A3. So ... I am lost here. ;)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

18 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Not always. You have to select type Devices to create artboards. For all other types artboards are not available. And for what use case I should create artboards here? Just curious. Anyway there seems to be something wrong. One artboard 1024x768 looks fine in print dialogue on A3, the other artboard 604x381 has the red rectangle in print dialogue on A3. So ... I am lost here. ;)

Ah. You don't have to do that if you do it from the Designer Persona. You just need to turn off the Master Page option, and then the Create Artboard option becomes available.

Edit: In any case, using Devices does not get you an Artboard in Publisher. It just gets you a different set of possible page sizes. But they're still pages, not Artboards.

As for why: So you can have the benefits of seemless switching between the Designer Persona and the full Photo Persona via StudioLink (not just the limited Pixel Persona offered by Designer) to work on your Artboard-based designs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1